Sign in with
Your question

Considering Building a Media Center PC

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2008 11:27:16 PM

I'm not sure what to call it but I want to look into building a media center PC for the use of a home theater system. I want it to be a DVR and be able to play Blue ray, and then be able to access the internet from my TV. You know, all that good stuff. I used to be up to speed on hardware in the PC world when I built my computer 6 months ago, but since I haven't. I'm having a hard time finding a good article on building a media center PC so if anyone can point me in a good direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

More about : building media center

September 22, 2008 11:52:55 PM

Start off with a good case and a 790gx series AMD mobo and the rest is gravy with at least one pcie port for a tv-tuner card. 1TB HD's have dropped considerably since 6 months ago. You'll need a wifi card or USB adapter for wifi, perhaps an audio card as well. 300W should be sufficient.
September 23, 2008 1:50:58 AM

does toms hardware have any good articles on doing this? I'm having a hard time searching for any.
Related resources
September 23, 2008 2:46:57 AM

THG has a lot on gaming systems, but not much on media centers. Shouldn't be a problem though. Look for watercooling. Helps with the noise issue.
September 23, 2008 6:48:24 PM

Thanks Bob, those articles look good. I'm having a hard time picking out a case, all the ones on newegg that look decent are $300+ which is ridiculous. I'm kind of disappointed over the current selection of cases available. If anyone has had good experience with one let me know
September 23, 2008 11:13:06 PM

NMediaPC 200BA
Newegg Link (for reviews and specs)

This is the (discontinued but still available elsewhere) HTPC case I have and while it took a bit to actually put the system together, I've had no problems with the case itself. I have to put my ear near the case in order to hear the fans running and even then, I can't tell if it's the CPU, Power Supply, Graphics Card, or the case fans I'm hearing and I certainly cannot hear it over the sound of watching TV or listening to music.

The display is not programmable, so that's a con.

-Wolf sends

Edit for HTPC specs:

Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2
Intel Core2Duo E6600
1 Gig DDR2-533 RAM (1 bad stick from 4x512 Meg set)
Sapphire ATI HD 2600 Pro
AverMedia AverTV PCI-E Combo TV Tuner
160 GB SATA-II OS Drive
750 GB SATA-II Media Drive
Lite-On SATA DVD-RW Drive
Antec SmartPower II 450 Watt PSU
Windows XP MCE w/Remote
Olevia 232T 1366x768 HDTV
BenQ MP610 1280x768 Projector
September 28, 2008 1:40:55 AM

Anyone know of a TV tuner card that supports 1080p and that can record 2 different channels at the same time?
!