Sign in with
Your question

Esata Port Multiplier?

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2010 10:48:35 PM

Okay I have a question I have a BlacX Duet and I love it but I was trying to get 2 drives working at the same time with Esata and it doesn't seem to work it says you need a esata port with port multiplier but I thought my P6T with the JMicron JMB363 Controller had a port multiplier..... I'm trying to find cheap pci-e controller card that will support my blacx duet but also maybe have a internal sata port or 2 on it too

Any recommendations or please tell I don't mind buying from Ebay ^_^ too
from Canada just in case too.

More about : esata port multiplier

a c 342 G Storage
February 26, 2010 6:00:40 PM

At a quick read (I have not done this myself) it seems to me that what you ask for takes the form of an eSATA port ABLE to support attachment of a Port Multiplier plus a separate box containing a port multiplier and slots for several hard disk units. Most commonly those external boxes are sold as ways to host 4 or 5 HDD's in a RAID array.

An alternative is adding a PCI controller card to give you one or more additional eSATA ports. I did a quick search on Newegg for cards that have any (0 and up) eSATA ports plus some SATA II internal ports; it found 67 of them here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Clearly many of these cards are intended to give you RAID capabilities, too, but some do not. In fact, I resume that any multi-port card can be used NOT in a RAID mode if you choose, but I'm not sure that is always true. If you live in Canada and don't have direct access to Newegg, remember newegg.ca. And of course check out other suppliers for similar products.

Even simpler and cheaper, of course, would be a card that gives you ONLY more eSATA ports and you just use the internal SATA II ports you already have.
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:02:31 AM

Hey thanks paperdoc
so the BlacX Duet has 1 esata port and 2 hard drives are able to connect to it...... so basicly.. I want a pci-e card that has esata that will work properly with the blacx duet and have 1 or 2 internal ports would be a bonus.
m
l
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
March 3, 2010 5:13:53 PM

As I read the BlacX Duet product description it says it has both eSATA and USB2 interfaces from itself to the computer. It will contain 2 HDD units and both can work. HOWEVER, buried in the details is the fact that using 2 drives in it requires port multiplier technology that IS a normal part of the USB systems, but is NOT provided within the BlackX Duet case if you are using the eSATA connection. In that latter case you must have the port multiplier function provided by your computer's eSATA port controller. On the ASUS site for the P6T I can't find any indication that this is included in that mobo, not on the jmicron 363 controller or anywhere else. SO, it appears your only way to get the unit to use its two HDD slots is to connect via USB2.
m
l
March 4, 2010 12:07:31 PM

Thanks again paperdoc. Yes I kinda knew that so that's why I'm looking for a pci-e card with esata/internal sata that support port multiplier and most cards say it does but they say FIS based so I'm a little confused whether they actually work or not.
For the blacx duet.

I basicly wanna know what cards will work with the blacx duet, so I can purchase one.
m
l
April 13, 2010 1:48:59 PM

So know one knows?
does the intel ich10r support port multiplier? and will it work with my thermaltake blacx duet? I just want both my hard drives working on my blacx duet through esata or will the marvell 9128 6gb work with port multiplier?
m
l
June 21, 2011 2:54:46 AM

Ok stop.

Having some personal experiencing running around the "Port Multiplier" nightmare I'll tell you what you need to do.

First research what SATA Chip you are using, then find out if it supports PMP and what mode it's using. Here is a good although slightly out of date list you can use.

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_fea...

According to that list your JMicron use's CBS mode (Command Based Switching) which is an older PMP mode.

Now find out which mode your PMP device is using, either Frame Based Switching (FBS / FIS) or Command Based Switching (CBS), these modes are not compatible. If your device is FIS / FBS mode then it will not work on your JMicron.

Here is what I went through. Bought a 4 bay enclosure from Mediasonic, they said to ensure my device has PMP support. My SATA chip was a Via VX800 part of an Epia platform. The VX800 is listed as having PMP support, vender said it had PMP support. The MediaSonic enclosure would not work, the chipset would only see a single SATA disk. After doing research the Media Enclosure was using FIS mode PMP and my chipset was using CBS mode, they were incompatible. After doing lots of research I found a SATA chipset that would support what I wanted. The Silicone Image SI3124, then I found a PCI card (my device has a single PCI port) and bought it. Hooked up to the card's eSATA port and like magic it all worked. The SI3124 and its brother the SI3132 both are amazing btw, seriously recommend anyone in the market to get those.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an el'cheapo SATA card, it won't work. Firstly as of SATA II there is no difference from a regular SATA port and an eSATA port. The cable has a shielded ground and makes a firmer connection that is about it. SATA II supports hot plugging which was the vital difference between an eSATA port and a regular SATA port. Most "bargin bin" SATA HBA's will not have PMP support.

The SI3112, all the Promise and most of the Marvel chipsets do not support PMP mode. Most older chipsets that do support PMP only support CBS mode which is useless for most enclosures made today. CBS most is slow as only one device can talk at a time on the channel, FBS/FIS mode allows multiple devices to talk to the HBA simultaneously.
m
l
October 8, 2012 10:36:15 PM

buckles said:
Did the eSata card from newegg work with the BlacX Duet?

bump because i also want the answer to this
m
l
October 9, 2012 12:13:35 AM

toastyghost said:
bump because i also want the answer to this

I bought the Koutech SATA II Controller a few months back for my windows 7 pro 64-bit machine. I have only used it as JBOD, but it seems eager to help me set up a RAID array. I have two 3.5" Western Digital hard drives that I use with it and the Thermaltake Blacx Duet (a 640GB Caviar Blue and a 1.5TB Green). It will recognize both disks for a while, but it always eventually drops the 1.5TB (usually after a few hours). Sometimes it drops both. I don't know if it's the Blacx Duet or the Controller, or maybe it's the disk drive. Otherwise, I can leave the 640GB drive plugged in 24/7 without a problem. I only plug the 1.5TB in occasionally to back things up, so I haven't been too bothered by this. I suppose I could do some experiments that might help pinpoint the issue. Sorry this isn't more helpful. I'll post an update if learn more. ps-finding and installing the correct Koutech ("Silicone Image RAID5") drivers was a bit of a hassle, and that might be another source of my problem.
m
l
January 22, 2013 7:46:28 PM

MalayZN said:
Okay I have a question I have a BlacX Duet and I love it but I was trying to get 2 drives working at the same time with Esata and it doesn't seem to work it says you need a esata port with port multiplier but I thought my P6T with the JMicron JMB363 Controller had a port multiplier..... I'm trying to find cheap pci-e controller card that will support my blacx duet but also maybe have a internal sata port or 2 on it too

Any recommendations or please tell I don't mind buying from Ebay ^_^ too
from Canada just in case too.

For a Black x duet, you want something like the Vantec model: UGT-IS100R 4+1 SATAII 300 & PATA PCI-E combo host card with raid. I use this combination on a dell OptiPlex 210L, running windows 8, and the eSATA port multiplier works perfectly, no dropping drives or anything like that. I can even boot from it, although you must understand that in order for the port multiplier to work, you must have the proprietary driver that comes with the card installed, as the bios will only recognize the first drive (HDD1) in the black x at boot. Once the OS loads with the driver installed, you will see both drives on the black x. :sol: 
m
l
!