Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2008 12:01:44 AM

dont think it will work while playing games... your psu doesnt seems good.
whats cpu?
October 18, 2008 1:19:32 AM

Umm, no it wont that PSU is not good at all.
Related resources
October 18, 2008 1:34:35 AM

IDK I MEAN UR PC IS RUNNING RIGHT? SO DEPENDS HOW MUCH ITS POWER IN TAKE IS , I SAY IT COULD I MEAN ALL IT NEEDS IS THE POWER FROM THE PCIXPRESS AND FROM I READ IT USES LESS THAN WHAT THE XPRESS CAN GIVE
October 18, 2008 1:52:21 AM

and if your 100% SURE it will not work, than can you recommend me something under 80$ and will play CoD4 on high settings ( at least ).
because i play lots of games but im NOT a hardcore gamer like Crysis and stuff. Cod4 will probably be the hardest workout for my gfx card.
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2008 3:55:49 AM

Look at the amperage on that power supply you looked at on newegg. It MIGHT perform as well as your 300 watt. Probably not though with only 16 amps on the 12v+ rail. Pretty weak PSU. There is an HEC/Compucase supply on newegg that is 585 watts for about 23 bucks and free shipping if you have to have cheap. It's listed as dual 12v+ rails with 19 amps on one rail, 20 on the other. Not the best PSU, but I think certainly better than that logisys unit.
October 19, 2008 4:37:13 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Look at the amperage on that power supply you looked at on newegg. It MIGHT perform as well as your 300 watt. Probably not though with only 16 amps on the 12v+ rail. Pretty weak PSU. There is an HEC/Compucase supply on newegg that is 585 watts for about 23 bucks and free shipping if you have to have cheap. It's listed as dual 12v+ rails with 19 amps on one rail, 20 on the other. Not the best PSU, but I think certainly better than that logisys unit.

im very sorry but i dont understand what your saying. could you ( or somone else ) please give me a link to that power supply you were talking about?

a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2008 6:17:26 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's the power supply I mentioned. Whenever you go into the specs page of the power supply look at the numbers that mention 12v+ rail.

On the one I posted, straight off of this page, here are the amperages for that power supply.

+3.3V@36A,+5V@36A,+12V1@19A,
+12V2@20A,-12V@1A,+5VSB@2.0A

Notice where it says +12V1@19A and +12V2@20A

That means this power supply according to the manufacturer, this supply has 2 rails, and that one has 19 amps, one has 20 amps.

On the Logisys power supply you chose, it only listed 1 rail, but it was 16 amps.

In other words, the power supply I linked you to should be a much stronger power supply than the other. The Logisys you picked out was listed as 480 watts. But even a good 300 watt power supply sometimes has 16 or 18 amps. Like I used a 400 watt power supply one time that had 20 amps on one rail. In other words, even that power supply would have been more powerful than that one listed at 480 watts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you or anything, but I've had parts fry because of getting a junk power supply. The power supply I showed, I've never used, but the only reason I would trust it is because the specs look good, and some of the reviews on there look promising. So for something that cheap, if your system is cheap, might be ok. But if you have a nice computer, then you probably want to spend more than that on a power supply.

Also, looking on there, look above where someone posted this Antec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's only listed at 380 watts. But has 2 12 volt + rails listed at 17 amps each and is a little more, but no free shipping. However, antec is a known brand, and a lot of times, the cheaper manufacturers overinflate the ratings on their stuff, whereas the companies that make good stuff sometimes might underestimate theirs. The antec would be of good quality, so might be a better buy than the one I showed you if you want to be sure of the quality. However, if money is a major concern, the one I listed would probably be fine if you don't load a lot of stuff on it.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 19, 2008 6:39:54 PM

"and if your 100% SURE it will not work"

They are not sure no matter what they are saying. There is a decent chance it will be fine with a 4670. Power requirements for video cards are almost always massively overstated and the HD4670 is a very low power card. I would recommend getting the card and trying it. If it doesn't work replace the PSU. The $24 dollar one that was recommended should definitely be fine for that card
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2008 8:09:42 PM

Exactly, and right now newegg had one version of the 4670 for 65 after a mail in rebate, so even if you end up getting a new PSU for 24-25 bucks, then you aren't spending much more once the rebate comes back.
June 20, 2009 1:41:41 PM

I run an MSI R4670 in a Dell Dim E510 Pent D-805, 2 GB RAM, and extra HD on an oem 305W PSU without problems. I play BF2 on med settings at 1024X768 or 800X600 no problem and have played COD4 on high as well. No meltdown or explosions yet.
!