Should I Upgrade?

Ok, why the PCI card? Don't have an AGP or PCI-E slot?

What games are you trying to play on this "computer"? They can't be too stressful if you are using your present set up.

If your answer to the top question is yes (no AGP or PCI-E), then I would save your money and put it towards a computer that has a PCI-E slot. Especially if you are trying to game. The only reason anyone gets a PCI card anymore is so that they can use it to troubleshoot systems that won't display video.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
^ agreed.

76$ is a lot of money for a PCI card, save that money instead and build a new computer. the cost-benefit ratio is much better with a new comp especially when you want to game.

but that is of course, what games are you playing?

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
That must be a really old computer to need a PCI card... you'd be better off saving the $80 you'd spend on that plus shipping, and build a new $500 rig for xmas.

To answer the OP's question, yes, it will make a big difference in the games you are able to play now. If a new build (less than $500 USD) is not an option, then this may be worthwhile.

For current games you may wish to play, however, a 2400Pro very likely simply won't cut it, and you will have wasted your money.

kais25

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Well, currently, I can play games like X3 on minimum settings, i can *run* S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, minimum settings, but so poorly as to make it unplayable, and Sins of a Solar Empire, medium settings, decent FPS, and the kind of games I want to be able to run are games like Oblivion (unlikely as that is), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky with decent settings, Warhammer Mark of Chaos and other, similar games. The reviews I have seen have said it can run X3 at a decent frame rate on the highest settings, as well as Far Cry and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

A new computer is not out of the question, it just has to wait until I start working, but it will take about four months to acquire the funds needed for the one I have in mind, so i figured that purchasing a new card would be a good, albeit temporary, measure to alleviate the frustrations caused by an old computer.

Also, I haven't been able to find out if it has PixelShader and VertexShader 2.0 or greater on it, I've probably been looking in the wrong place for info on this card (there is a VERY similarly named PCI-E card out there), but any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help so far.

$77 for four months of playing doesn't seem like a bad deal. It won't be great, but I suspect it will be worthwhile. Check around though, you may be able to get something a little better. I looked on NCIX for Canada and didn't find anything though. I saw a lot of Diamond products; that's one brand I would definitely avoid.

Well, a couple of movie rentals per week for four months will cost more than $77. Same for fast-food meals, not to mention the price of gas to go anywhere. If it were me, I'd conclude that the video card is a better use for $77, even if it is for such a short time.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
$77.00 bucks will buy him a 9600GS for his new system.

Also I suggest if he is strapped for cash to buy a new computer that he take his lunch instead of eating out, slow down to save gas.

kais25

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Food and gas aren't an issue where I live, and, at the moment, I am fortunate enough that computers are my only real worry until exams.

Thanks for your help; I agree with jtt283, and $77 will not make much of a difference in four months time.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
you would be better buying a cheap amd processor and motherboard with the graphics card on-board, i dont know the price but i bet it would work out the same maybe a bit more but not much

i can tell you this though, pci graphics will only piss you off