bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I got a new computer and I don't have Windows 7 Ultimate yet. I ended up screwing up the computer from doing stupid stuff, but I was planning on changing over to XP Pro with a fresh install. I have a legit clean copy of XP Pro that works fine on my other computers.
Everytime I try to install it on my new computer, it will go through loading all the files, then it will black out and go to the Blue Screen saying:

A problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage
to your comptuer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drivers or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard driver corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Tehcnical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I can NOT figure out the problem for the life of me. I had to re-do a laptop for a friend that had Vista and wanted to put XP Pro on it, I had to change some settings in the BIOS to do this.

Edit:
Uh oh, I failed/forgot to mention that it will not read my Windows XP Pro CD on the CD Drive. So I'm using an External USB Portable CD Drive.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

and this will fix my problem?
I need to update my Bios or that driver?

Sorry, I'm just making sure, because it seems that it's a different problem. :/

I can't say for sure that it will fix your problem. But it's worth a try. It doesn't cost anything except a few minutes of your time.

Of course, you may have difficulty finding XP drivers for your motherboard as XP is rather long in the tooth.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I'd probably go with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver, because it's newer and just seems like it would be the one. Yeah it's a SATA hard drive.
I'll give it a try tomarrow, I'm to tired to be messing with it anymore. :/ haha Thank you very much! Hopefully there will be more feedback.

" I have a legit clean copy of XP Pro that works fine on my other computers." If you have one copy, that you have installed on other computers, it's not legit. One license per computer.

What is the make and model of your PC? If it's a new one, should have a restore disk unless you built it yourself. Just restore whateve OS was on there to begin with. XP with SP3 slipstreamed may work, it has better SATA support than the older versions.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

That's actually wrong. You can install them on multiple computers.
I already gotten taken care of and it was because of the Service Pack 3, which I did the SlipStream thing.

Thank you!

You can use one disc on multiple computers... but that is not the same thing as using the same product key on multiple computers. If you are using a single product key, then it is definately not legit... unless you happen to have a legit Volume License Key.

SP3 works on some SATA controllers, but not new Intel ones. I've run into the issue a few times using SP3 copies of XP. USB floppy drive with the F6 drivers solves the issue.

If you have a "corporate" license, then that explains your "luck". Corporate licenses usually use VLK's... which allows multiple activations of a single product key. However, once you run out of activations, the key stops working.

Yes, technically you can use the same key to install XP on multiple computers... the problem comes in when you try to ACTIVATE that copy of Windows. Even if it passes activation, it probably won't pass Genuine Advantage check. Again, however, volume licenses don't apply.

If you have more than one computer running with the same product key, and that key is a legit VLK, then it will work. However, if you have a Joe Schmo Pro license or a Home license, then installing on multiple computers is definately NOT legit. Just because it works, doesn't make it legit.

A retail license allows you to uninstall Windows from your old computer and transfer it to your new computer... OEM licenses don't... every time you purchase a new computer, you are expected to purchase a new OEM license. Now, I fully realize and know that if you install an OEM copy of Windows on a new computer and activate it, it does in fact work... as long as you don't have another computer with that same key up and running. But if you read your license agreement, you'll see that you're not allowed to do this.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Go to a store and buy a copy, then put it on multiple computers. You'll see, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My copy is legit and a full license copy, actually it's a corprate license.

I must of gotten lucky then, because it works for me and mine is new.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
That's weird why it just posted my old post.

That makes complete sense now. I usually only use it on one computer at a time. I'm going to have to go buy either a Windows XP Pro 64 bit or Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, I haven't decided yet. Besides that I do want to switch away from 32 bit. All my computers come with a Key, besides this new one I just got. When I said "luck", I was talking about SP3 working on my new computer.

Thank you!

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I want to, but I don't want to switch over, I like my XP Pro. After playing with Windows 7 for awhile, I don't really like it, but I have no choice really. My Windows XP Pro started up faster than Windows 7. I noticed that Adobe and a bunch of other software isn't supported with 64 bit in general.

Doesn't matter... their 32-bit variants will run just fine. I've been running with 64-bit since Vista and I haven't felt the need to install 32-bit at all. Of course if you don't have at least 4GB of RAM, 64-bit is kind of wasted.

While MS has committed to supplying critical updates for XP until 2014, no other vendors have pledged such support. Once MS releases another version of Windows, I believe that will be the end of major driver support for XP. I really don't see vendors keeping up their consumer support across 4 platforms. At least if you go with Win 7, you'll know you'll have that software and driver support until 2014 and beyond.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah after having 64 Bit and going down to 32 bit, I wat 64 bit. Even though my Windows XP Pro 32 Bit loaded and runs way faster then Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. I have a 4GB stick, I'll be upgrading down the road to more.

Yeah that's why I'm not going to buy Windows XP Pro 64 bit, I mean I want to and I can deal with it until something happens, but not sure the money will be worth it. I don't like Windows 7 all that much, there is one major thing that bugs the crap out of me, then a few small things. haha I'm just anal about things.

bikersk8rkid

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

True, but I don't do much anyways. Maybe if I find a good deal on Windows XP Pro 64 Bit, I'll use it for awhile until I can afford Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. :D

Edit:
I have a Windows XP Pro Key on my old Desktop computer (what I'm using now). How do I find out if it's 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

No license that a home user can buy is legal to use on several computers. The bellow is from an XP Pro license agreement.

"Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”). The Product may not be used by
more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum..."

Just because you "can" install it, and the key may even work a few times, does not mean it's approved.

It's like saying you can't drink and drive, and someone saying, "what do you mean I can't? I drink, I go to drive, no problem".