No Sound despite activity in playback devices

Coldbayne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hi there,

I am posting this here as a last resort, prior to sending computer back under warranty.

My computer has a built-in sound card (EVGA nForce 780i, which has Realtek AC97). Normally I have either monitor speakers or headphones hooked up and have no problems.

Recently daughter got tangled up in headphone cable, pulling it out sharply, ever since no sound, despite signal being registered in activity meter under playback devices.

Speaking to tech support of where I got computer from they thought maybe sound chip had been damaged and advised me to try getting a standalone sound card.

I duly bought PCI Sound Blaster X Fi Xtreme Gamer, installed it and still the same occurs, no sound despite activity meter registering against "Speakers SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio, Working" set as default device.

The motherboard's in built sound i disabled through BIOS settings.

Ensured that existing drivers were removed prior to installation of new drivers.

OS is Vista 32

Any ideas?

Coldbayne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Certainly a consideration, unfortunately same issue occurs with built in speakers with monitor that worked before, likewise 7.1 speaker setup, so i dont think its cable related, at least outside of the desktop box

G

I dont want to be patronizing - it's just after 15 years of hardware support you tend to think the worst...... but you did unplug the speakers from the MB and plug them into the SB Xtreme, right? Because if you did the only things I can think of are-

1) The SB X-FI Xtreme is DOA
2) You have gone profoundly deaf

Have you access to another PC to test the SB card on?

Stuart

Coldbayne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I did try the obvious, sadly no sound on either MB or SB

Surprised if the SB is DOA as everything seems to be recognised. I cant believe i can be getting same issue before and after buying a SB - can I be that unlucky? Which returns to me to the thought that something has happened to the motherboard

Have you looked at the mixer? make sure the speaker is not on mute or at the bottom. Also open playback devices, select your speakers, then hit properties. Check you lvls tab to make sure that nothing is muted or set to 0.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Hmm... Like OP is really going to tell EVGA support what actually happened. You get a life... :sol:

Bob

Coldbayne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
It wasn't, so I gave that a try, no joy either with or without the property of speakers custom tab being set to digital output only.

Thanks for the suggestion - one day of suggestions left before I RMA the computer which i'd rather avoid :(