Sign in with
Your question

E6600 GA965P S3 no restart after overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 2:00:52 PM

Put simply, the title says it all: My rig will not restart Windows after even a mild overclock, the system hangs several times before the POST screen then finally recovers to stock settings and the overclock is lost.
It will boot if I shut it down and restart with the power switch.
It will run 3.2GHz stable (the changes made in BIOS are: FSB set to 356, PCI-E locked to 100MHz, memory set to 2.5:1 from 3.0.)
I pushed the Vcore to 1.34 and this made no difference but the system exibits this behaviour even at a much lower overclock.
Any ideas?
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 10:19:06 PM

Anyone?
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 9:25:13 PM

Come on, do n't be shy;)
This is getting on my nerves...Big time!
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 11:39:13 PM

have you tried to bump your nb?
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 1:09:04 AM

coozie7 said:
Put simply, the title says it all: My rig will not restart Windows after even a mild overclock, the system hangs several times before the POST screen then finally recovers to stock settings and the overclock is lost.
It will boot if I shut it down and restart with the power switch.
It will run 3.2GHz stable (the changes made in BIOS are: FSB set to 356, PCI-E locked to 100MHz, memory set to 2.5:1 from 3.0.)
I pushed the Vcore to 1.34 and this made no difference but the system exibits this behaviour even at a much lower overclock.
Any ideas?

According to my experience, the system hang during POST is either due to insane OC or immensely insufficient voltage.

The Vcore is NOT the only voltage you need to tweak for OCing.

What I would do is:

1st: Download the E6600 datasheet at http://www.intel.com/design/core2duo/documentation.htm

2nd: Write down the max(NOT absolute max) voltageS given in the Electrical Specification section of the datasheet just downloaded.

3rd: Set all the voltages that you are not sure what they do to the max value.

4th: Keep lowering them ONE at a time until you get instability.

OR

Check ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc... ) for detailed guide.
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 10:54:13 AM

@ Andy5174: Thanks for the heads up, mate.
Was a little nervous about upping the voltages but it seems to have done the trick.
Currently 3.2GHz, stable and it restarts.
I had forgotten how addictive overclocking can be;)
Looking for 3.4 now!
!