How long to burn in Prime95

shithead

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Well I want to burn in my friend's computer. A lot of mysteries solved but lot more exists. NO :non: OC'ing!!!!!!!

Specs:
C2D E7200
GA-EP35-DS3
2*1GB DDR2 RAM
Sapphire HD 4850 512 MB
Win Vista Home Premium

1. How long to let Prime95 stress my CPU? What settings do you people use?

2. OK to burn in graphic card the best program is furmark but a google search told me that furmark kills every 4850/4870. So ATi released a driver fix(8.8) that just limits the card when the furmark test starts (can be proved when renaming the furmark executable file).
SO WHAT TO USE? (Someone recommended me to run "rthdribl"). Is that thing any good? What settings and how long should I run it?

PS: If you yhink prime95 & rthdribl is junk please recommend me another program that can substitute them. Criticize the above build if you like :wahoo: but my friend has a budget. Sorry for TONS of questions & long post. WOW, that long :ouch:

attesan997

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
When I oc'd my e8500 to 3.8ghz i let it run for 1, 3, and then 10 hrs. I did each one of the tests it has setup when you run the program. The last one "a mix of everything" I ran for the 10hrs. I've heard Prime recommended for 24hrs before also. If you're doing a large overclock running prime for that long is a good determinant of the stability. If you're leaving it stock I think it might be a bit overkill (just my opinion).
I'm a bit confused also when you say burn in.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
within a half hour you usually will find out if anything is seriously wrong. if your cooling is happy, let it run overnight, and when you come home from school/work if its still going you know life is good.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
when OCing, I just leave it on the "mix of everything" overnight to test the OC stability...8-12 hours should do...(*i did however once get an error at around 11 hours...:'( )

shithead

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
OK I want to burn in to check system stability at stock settings because i had a DFI socket 478 (via chipset) that died within 1 year. So I want to eliminate the causes of "dead after 1 month-1 year usage" for my friend. What good to use for burning in (stressing) graphic cards? I want to avoid furmark (why I'm avoiding it? read the first post)

shithead

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Ok I see people here are amateur in building computers coz no they don't even get what the **** is burn in. Fine, but people AT LEAST told me what the settings they use in Prime95 thank you!. But WHAT ABOUT GRAPHIC CARD STRESSING??? You people wanna make me make another thread about it is it???

Dangles

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I know this is an old thread and an age-old question, but I have to know something:

Everyone says at least 8 hours of Prime95.

Why?

So far I have not seen a single post explaining why people need such a long period of 100% CPU Load especially if there are home users or gamers and not professionals that run intense appz.

The far more reasonable explanation come from "noobs" that test for 2-4 hours. No gamer uses 100% CPU non-stop for 8 hours. Sure there are people who play for that long, but the CPU is never stressed the way it is is in Prime95.

Can anyone drop some knowledge on me? Cuz right now I still don't get it.