Sign in with
Your question

Component video to S Video conversion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 18, 2008 7:08:29 PM

So I recently bought a bunch of components to build myself a new computer and the one thing I didn't get is a T.V. Card.

I'm getting AT&T UVerse installed and since they require a box to view content I'd have to buy an external TV Card with appropriate HD connections in order to view HD content with my UVerse box.

I bought the 9800GT video card and it came with a cable I can plug component video cables into and then plug the other end (a S video connection) into my video card. I'd also be able to use that with an internal T.V. card and hook it into my S video connection on a TV card. But I'm assuming that would not maintain my HD signal right?

If it doesn't is there any way of getting around paying $230 for an external TV Card that I can hook my cable box into and still view HD content on my computer?

Thanks for your help.
October 18, 2008 7:31:17 PM

utaustinstud said:
So I recently bought a bunch of components to build myself a new computer and the one thing I didn't get is a T.V. Card.

I'm getting AT&T UVerse installed and since they require a box to view content I'd have to buy an external TV Card with appropriate HD connections in order to view HD content with my UVerse box.

I bought the 9800GT video card and it came with a cable I can plug component video cables into and then plug the other end (a S video connection) into my video card. I'd also be able to use that with an internal T.V. card and hook it into my S video connection on a TV card. But I'm assuming that would not maintain my HD signal right?

If it doesn't is there any way of getting around paying $230 for an external TV Card that I can hook my cable box into and still view HD content on my computer?

Thanks for your help.

That is NOT an S-Video connection. Look more carefully, it has three extra pins. It won't convert anything, and cannot be connected to a TV tuner card. The only thing you can use your cable with is the TV OUTPUT of a similar graphics card.
October 22, 2008 5:20:07 AM

Thanks for the help Crashman. I didn't take a very good look at the cable and so I didn't notice those extra pins.
!