forgotten password

a colleague has just left and didnt pass on the password
on winxp

we need to enter system
3 answers Last reply
More about forgotten password

    Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
    if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
    http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

    Forgot your admin password?

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    silbermaneli@gmail.com wrote:
    > a colleague has just left and didnt pass on the password
    > on winxp
    >
    > we need to enter system

    Don't know if this will help, but I had it in my list of favorites.

    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    gls858

    <silbermaneli@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > a colleague has just left and didnt pass on the password
    > on winxp
    >
    > we need to enter system

    It's proably best to ask for the password on the eventuality that the
    previous user invoked encryption. If you do anything to replace the
    accounts without having the original password, you will *never* gain access
    to the encrypted files.

    If it is unencrypted, an easy thing to do is to temporarily host the drive
    in another machine and copy any needed data. Then, just format the drive,
    move it back to its home machine and reinstall Windows - this will take a
    few hours but will ensure a clean-running machine for the next user.

    You might need to take ownership of the files, but if the files are
    encrypted, you will know, and will have to boot with that drive and the
    password.

    HTH
    -pk

Microsoft Windows XP