is the WD Raptor still the fastest consumer hard drive on the market

More about : raptor

a b G Storage
February 26, 2010 6:37:36 PM

No.
m
l
February 26, 2010 6:45:43 PM

The raptors are old. The Velociraptors are the fastest traditional hard drive. SSD's are way faster than it. Pick up an SSD if you're looking for speed.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 6:59:33 PM

even some 7200 rpm drives are rivaling the raptors. Look at WD Caviar black 640GB or the 1tb drives with the 32mn cache...also Seagate has a blazing fast 7200 rpm drive now...all a lot cheaper than a SSD...still nothing compares to an ssd.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 26, 2010 7:56:31 PM

japps2 said:
even some 7200 rpm drives are rivaling the raptors.
They rival the raptors for transfer rate, not access time. The reason you buy a 10Krpm drive is for faster access time, which helps with random-IO-intensive tasks like booting and starting applications.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2010 11:57:59 AM

I bought 2 of the black drives exactly for that reason, because everyone was bragging them up and stating "they are nearly as fast as a raptor"
Well, in my opinion, and I have a 640 and 1 TB black drive. They ARE NOT ANYTHING like the raptors. In fact, I am a little disappointed in them. The transfer rates are decent, nothing to brag about, just decent. The access times are not that great at all. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought Raptors. They may be expensive, but if speed is more important than the huge amount of storage, that is what I would do. The best thing about the black drives is they have a lot of storage space for a great price, and they seem to be pretty dependable.
SSD's are the fastest hands down. But they are also way, way overpriced I feel.
m
l
February 28, 2010 3:52:00 PM

For example, here are three of my drives. This is average read and access times using HD Tune.

Seagate 7200.12 750GB (7200RPM)... 110MB/s, 13.5ms
WD Velociraptor 80GB (10,000RPM).... 108MB/s, 6.2ms
OCZ Agility SSD 60GB (SSD)................ 205MB/s, 0.1ms

As you can see, the Velociraptor is about equal to the 7200.12 drive in terms of transfer rate. Access time, however, is where the 10,000RPM's really come into play. And the SSD beats them both by a large margin.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 28, 2010 7:06:30 PM

jitpublisher said:
I bought 2 of the black drives exactly for that reason, because everyone was bragging them up and stating "they are nearly as fast as a raptor". Well, in my opinion, and I have a 640 and 1 TB black drive. They ARE NOT ANYTHING like the raptors. In fact, I am a little disappointed in them.

This is exactly why I hate it when people (a) ask "which drive is faster" without indicating what type of performance they're looking for, and (b) claim drive A is "faster" than drive B without qualifying what they mean by "faster"!

It's like the difference between a sports car and a truck. Sure, the sports car may go faster, but if you're moving from one house to another it's going to take you more trips and a lot longer to move it by sports car than by truck.
m
l
!