comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Trying to clean up an older computer, it used to have Artic Ailver 3 as the compound, and now a days I use Artic Silver Ceramique. I cleaned up the die and ceramic of the CPU with 91% Alcohol.

In trying to clean up the heatsink/fan with the 91% alcohol, I still see a bit of discoloration, to which I'm guessing is the microscopic valleys Artic Silver is talking about. I also read that that carb cleaner and goop off can be used to clean Artic Silver off. I really do not want to go that drastic due to health issues.

So long story short if there is some Artic Silver 3 left in the microscopic valleys of the heatsink/fan, are they incompatible and or will it cause any stability issues down the road?

Thanks in advance...

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply, Temps seem to be ok (39 - 40C) before cleaning it was running in the 60's. I was just thinking for some strange reason it may not be a good idea (chemically) if they mix.

Thanks for the acetone suggestion, Alcohol is about as strong as my sniffer can go unfortunately and that still causes me some problems with my Asthma.