Sign in with
Your question

i7 860 with bclk at 190

Last response: in Overclocking
December 31, 2009 3:45:37 AM

In yesterday's article by Chris Angelini, the 4 ghz overclocked i7860 test computer was said to be running at 190 bclk. Could anyone at the test lab provide the voltages used? I'm particularly interested in whether you exceeded the Intel specified maximum voltage for vtt.

I see rampant acceptance of exceeding this voltage spec, yet I can't remember ever before overclockers willingly exceeding spec voltage maximums (except the completely extreme folks using LN2). I'm trying to understand the reasoning people are using.

Without exceeding vtt max of 1.21v I have a prime 95 3hr stable i7 860 at 180mz bclk. Any higher bclk, I needed more vtt. For temps to stay in the low 70s under prime 95 100% load, I've limited my multiplier to 20, accepting 3.6 as my final long term usage point.

If Tom's testers overclock with a higher vtt, could you please explain your thinking. Do you have inside knowledge that makes this ok for long term operation, or is this overclock just for demonstration purposes, not intended to indicate a recommended operating condition?

Best regards,
Bob

i7 860/ga-p55a-ud4p/cooler master tx3/lancool pc-k60/evga 8800 gts (g92)/4x2gb G.Skill ripjaw/corsair 520w modular

More about : 860 bclk 190

a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 2:57:18 PM

Bob, i've got the same board and processor as you do. If you noticed the original Bios supplied for this board had a max vtt of 1.31v and the newer Bios dropped it back to 1.21v. My feeling behind this is that it could be in response to the budget boards ($100) having a problem like in the TH's test. I personally don't think there would be any problem exceeding the 1.21v vtt for a 24/7 OC at all with a mid range and up board, but only time can tell.

As for your temps, that is another story. You can up your multiplier to 22X and get 3.960 GHz if you only wanted to raise your Bclk to a max of 180, but once again temps would be the deciding factor for you.
m
l
December 31, 2009 6:39:55 PM

Hi RJR, the key issue imho, is the Intel Spec, which states 1.21v max for vtt. I suspect Gigabyte simply failed to notice that requirement in the first bios.

cheers,
B
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 6:45:53 PM

IMHO, I just can't see the motherboard engineers just failing to notice a manufacturers specification, but we will never know.
m
l
January 21, 2010 2:53:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I"m currently running my 860 with a VTT of 1.29 which concerns me now after reading this post. I have seen others running higher voltages, some up to 1.34 and above.

At present, the C states are disabled but when they are after I'm done with my stress testing, would that also lower/throttle all the relevant voltages of just the Vcore ? From what I have seen out there, most are suggesting that QPI, CPU PLL, and QPI PLL will not be scaled down.

m
l
January 21, 2010 11:04:21 PM

I don't know the answer to your c states questions, but I should update my thread...I've done a lot of tweaking of this build since.
At one point it seemed I could not exceed 180bclk at the intel spec'd max of vtt=1.21. After installing a 1st rate hsf, I went further into my oc, and began to evaluate vcore settings up to 1.32, keeping vtt at 1.21. These vcore levels began to allow bclk to reach 190 without exceeding vtt max spec. I've easily reached 3.8ghz, and probably could go higher, but I prefer running the box at a better performance/power ratio. I've backed it down currently to 3.6, but I'm still running bclk at 190 as it lets my ram run @ 1520 (8x190) rather than 1440 (8x180). One disappointment is that my ram seems to complain when I try to overclock it. Its rated at 1600, and seems to refuse to go to 1601, when the cpu is overclocked. So, I'm stuck at the 8 multiplier.
So, I take back my suspicion that folks running at higher bclk than 180 are violating the intel vtt spec. Whether you'll get in trouble running vtt@ 1.29 is the heart of the question. Please let me know if you do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 11:28:01 PM

I run my VTT at 1.31 with my 4ghz o/c and Obsidian ram at 1600.
I could run less vtt if I ran at 1333.
I've gone in to windows during extended prime95 testing and used easytune6 to lower voltage within windows to "prove" I can't stably run any lower. I'm not stating this makes it OK but over at OCZ forums they regularly recommend this voltage and more to stabilize memory. I understand all the pros and cons of tech support recommendations.
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:27:41 AM

notty22 said:
I run my VTT at 1.31 with my 4ghz o/c and Obsidian ram at 1600.
I could run less vtt if I ran at 1333.
I've gone in to windows during extended prime95 testing and used easytune6 to lower voltage within windows to "prove" I can't stably run any lower. I'm not stating this makes it OK but over at OCZ forums they regularly recommend this voltage and more to stabilize memory. I understand all the pros and cons of tech support recommendations.

Notty, what's your vdimm? Also, what "tech support recommendations" are you referring to? Is that what you get at OCZ forums? I've never read that forum.

B
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:35:12 AM

bob5568 said:
I don't know the answer to your c states questions, but I should update my thread...I've done a lot of tweaking of this build since.
At one point it seemed I could not exceed 180bclk at the intel spec'd max of vtt=1.21. After installing a 1st rate hsf, I went further into my oc, and began to evaluate vcore settings up to 1.32, keeping vtt at 1.21. These vcore levels began to allow bclk to reach 190 without exceeding vtt max spec. I've easily reached 3.8ghz, and probably could go higher, but I prefer running the box at a better performance/power ratio. I've backed it down currently to 3.6, but I'm still running bclk at 190 as it lets my ram run @ 1520 (8x190) rather than 1440 (8x180). One disappointment is that my ram seems to complain when I try to overclock it. Its rated at 1600, and seems to refuse to go to 1601, when the cpu is overclocked. So, I'm stuck at the 8 multiplier.
So, I take back my suspicion that folks running at higher bclk than 180 are violating the intel vtt spec. Whether you'll get in trouble running vtt@ 1.29 is the heart of the question. Please let me know if you do.

Mate, I have managed to get the vtt down to 1.275 and it seems to be running well so far. I tried earlier at 1.26 something but within a minute or 3 threads stopped. 1.275 seems good and to add on, Its been going well with EIST and , C1E and the other C-States :)  .

CPU is set 19x with bclk @ 200. This gives me an exact 1600mhz for my rams (9-9-9-24-2T). It seems rather promising so far and I'll update once I have got my nap (been up for just slightly less than a day ) ....
m
l
!