Sep 23, 2008
Setup:
Intel Q6600
MSI P6N SLI Platinum *new
2Gb Dual-Channel Corsair XMS2 PC6400 1.8v 5-5-5-5-18-2T *new
eVGA 8600GT
500GB Seagate Sata *new
BFG GS-650 PSU *new

I've been trying to install Vista Home Premium. The setup for Vista starts and then shuts down right after it says "Windows is loading files...". The CPU temp at this point is 38° C, so I know it's not an overheating issue. I know it's not the operating system dvd because the same thing happens when I try to load XP. With XP it makes it all the way to the Windows setup and shuts down while loading devices. I swapped out the optical drive and it does the same stuff.

Any help you guys could give would be great. :D

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Wow, that is odd.

Try installing a Linux distro. It could be there is just something Windows doesn't like with your comp.

If that is the case it is more likely it is just some odd hardware incompatibility.

If you get the same problem my guess would be that you something isn't receiving enough power or is faulty, most likely your hd or ram. Your psu isn't very good but it isn't awful, it should be enough to run your current setup so I wouldn't think that would be the issue unless it was faulty.

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

Just replaced the ram and HD earlier today before this post. It wasn't either of those ><

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

instant power cut-off... weird huh

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Wow, if you have access to a a different mobo to test with I would try that. Also, if you have a more powerful psu I would try that. I know it says 650w but it is of lower quality at a higher temp than it was rated for. It is most likely actually a 500w or so. I would think it would be enough but it is possible it isn't.

Also, I know I didn't say it specifically but did you try raising ram voltage?

Edit: Zanathon beat me.

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

I think I'll go grab a new Mobo today to try out.

Btw here is my actual RAM:

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX.pdf

and the RAM voltage is grayed out in the BIOS so that I can't change it from 1.8v

Thanks for all the help guys, man I'm stumped. I even pulled out the 8600GT to see if it would finish the windows XP setup and sure enough, it powered down at the exact same spot.

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and tried it and it powered down right after it said "Loading Linux Kernel"

I'm thinkin it's a mobo problem.

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Tried that already, same effect. It says "Windows is loading files..." then power cuts off.

all this input is great, didn't think anyone would respond so quick

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey hey

Make sure your sata cable is connected to the correct spot on your motherboard.

I had the same problem, I had my sata plugged into the wrong spot.

Its worth a shot :)

Soiled

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

Ahhh, gotta love oddly specific computer problems that don't make much sense. I have had a few of those myself :pt1cable: .

boomhowar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
nixonnow have you tried disabling all of your on-board peripherals like firewire, lan, usb, ect?

It could be that one of your on board devices is shorting out or otherwise malfunctioning and when you're installing an os it shuts off at the point where the system tries to load the drivers and initiate the device. --I've had problems like this before when troubleshooting.

Good luck

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

Ok, moved the SATA cable from position 3 to position 1, didn't work :(

Yeah Boom, I tried that one last night... had all of the periphs disabled and nothin, I got nothin.

I'm up now, I'm gonna go grab another mobo for breakfast.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

Quote from original post:

nixonnow

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Got it fixed. It was the motherboard after all. Put a eVGA nForce 780i SLI in there and now it purrs like a kitten.

Thanks for all the love.

G

@nixonnow,

I too am facing the same problem while loading windows vista on acer.

I had to reformat my system a i was facing a problem of shuting down when operating the system in a normal mode. Unfortunately I cndnt reformat my sytem using acer recovery management .It shuts down once the installation is complete and during restart when it loads/upadtes drivers /files..I tried thrice same pbm ... when I asked acre customer care abouthe pbm they said may be a hardware pbm . can u pls provide me the solution /?

thanks,

ranjani