two different sources of audio, one from video card and one from mobo

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
1. I can get audio straight from my video card to my tv (HD4870X2 via dvi-hdmi adapter connected to tv via hdmi-hdmi cable)
2. I can get audio straight from mobo to stereo speakers via amplifier
3. I want two different sources of audio, one from video card and one from mobo playing at the same time
4. I can only do one or the other but not both

can anyone help me get two different sources play at the same time, the OS is Vista ultimate 64 and I can only choose one sound output in control panel to be the default one

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
It's possible to use two different audio devices in windows but it's up to the piece of software you are running to determine which device to use. If the software can't select a particular audio device, it will use the default. How does the video card work, are you feeding the sound in from another source or does it have it's own sound card build in? You need to first make sure you have two audio processing devices, for example, onboard audio and a sound card. After that, you can set one of them to windows default and manually set up the other one for select pieces of software within the softwares configuration (if supported).