I had occasion to do run>>msconfig>>Diagnostic Startup, rebooted
to get there, saw what I needed to see........and then changed
back....run>>msconfig>>Normal Startup....... and now it always
goes into Diagnostic Startup mode. How do I get it back to
Normal Startup???? Thanks.
--
William B. Lurie

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I had occasion to do run>>msconfig>>Diagnostic Startup, rebooted
> to get there, saw what I needed to see........and then changed
> back....run>>msconfig>>Normal Startup....... and now it always
> goes into Diagnostic Startup mode. How do I get it back to
> Normal Startup???? Thanks.
> --
> William B. Lurie

Uncheck the little box that says "run config... when windows starts".

Joe S. wrote:

> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>> I had occasion to do run>>msconfig>>Diagnostic Startup, rebooted
>> to get there, saw what I needed to see........and then changed
>> back....run>>msconfig>>Normal Startup....... and now it always
>> goes into Diagnostic Startup mode. How do I get it back to
>> Normal Startup???? Thanks.
>

> Uncheck the little box that says "run config... when windows starts".

That little box? I don't recall seeing it.....can you lead me to it?
Thanks.
--
William B. Lurie

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

Look in the right pane for the value loading MSConfig and delete it.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Look in the right pane for the value loading MSConfig and delete it.

Thank you, Doug, for the prompt assistance. The bad
news is that I went there, and there are a dozen or
so items in the right pane......I saw nothing there
that I could recognize as having to do with MSConfig.
Maybe it's there and I didn't recognize it.......
` Bill L.

If the value is there, it will listed as MSConfig in the right pane. When you refer to Diagnostic Startup, are you talking about the operating system or MSConfig itself (Diagnostic Startup is selected on the General tab)?

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> If the value is there, it will listed as MSConfig in the right pane. When you refer to Diagnostic Startup, are you talking about the operating system or MSConfig itself (Diagnostic Startup is selected on the General tab)?

Sorry, Doug, perhaps I was not specific enough.
I did Run>>MSConfig>> (General Tab, where it always starts) >>
there are 3 choices: Normal (which I'd like to get back to),
Selective, and Diagnostic (which I'm stuck in).

The problem is in a system on another HDD, so I'll power down,
swich drives, power back up, look again to be sure, and be back
her in another half hour.....

WBL

Malke

billurie@nospam.org wrote:

> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>> If the value is there, it will listed as MSConfig in the right pane.
>> When you refer to Diagnostic Startup, are you talking about the
>> operating system or MSConfig itself (Diagnostic Startup is selected
>> on the General tab)?
>
> Sorry, Doug, perhaps I was not specific enough.
> I did Run>>MSConfig>> (General Tab, where it always starts) >>
> there are 3 choices: Normal (which I'd like to get back to),
> Selective, and Diagnostic (which I'm stuck in).
>
> The problem is in a system on another HDD, so I'll power down,
> swich drives, power back up, look again to be sure, and be back
> her in another half hour.....
>
> WBL

There is no reason to "get back to" the Normal setting. "Normal" was a
bad choice of words for Windows. The "Selective" setting just means
that is what you have chosen to have start with Windows.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>> If the value is there, it will listed as MSConfig in the right pane.
>> When you refer to Diagnostic Startup, are you talking about the
>> operating system or MSConfig itself (Diagnostic Startup is selected on
>> the General tab)?
>

> Sorry, Doug, perhaps I was not specific enough.
> I did Run>>MSConfig>> (General Tab, where it always starts) >>
> there are 3 choices: Normal (which I'd like to get back to),
> Selective, and Diagnostic (which I'm stuck in).
>
> The problem is in a system on another HDD, so I'll power down,
> swich drives, power back up, look again to be sure, and be back
> her in another half hour.....
>
> WBL
The half hour became an hour and a half, largely due to extra
checking to avoid being chastised for overlooking the 'obvious'.

It is indeed as I said. Of those 3 choices, I'm set with the radio
button in General Tab on Normal, but when it is finished booting,
Task Manager shows all applications but no user's name. Proof is
that PF usage is 85 MB instead of a usual 200 MB. I've gone around 3
times, and I've done a full chkdsk/r in between (finding no prob)
and it's as I describe.

Bill L.

Malke wrote:

> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>

>>Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>>
>>>If the value is there, it will listed as MSConfig in the right pane.
>>>When you refer to Diagnostic Startup, are you talking about the
>>>operating system or MSConfig itself (Diagnostic Startup is selected
>>>on the General tab)?
>>
>>Sorry, Doug, perhaps I was not specific enough.
>>I did Run>>MSConfig>> (General Tab, where it always starts) >>
>>there are 3 choices: Normal (which I'd like to get back to),
>>Selective, and Diagnostic (which I'm stuck in).
>>
>>The problem is in a system on another HDD, so I'll power down,
>>swich drives, power back up, look again to be sure, and be back
>>her in another half hour.....
>>
>>WBL
>

> There is no reason to "get back to" the Normal setting. "Normal" was a
> bad choice of words for Windows. The "Selective" setting just means
> that is what you have chosen to have start with Windows.
>
> Malke
Sorry to get bogged down in a terminology dispute. I am accustomed
to "Normal".... meaning that everything in my Startup Menu menu gets
loaded and the icons are hot and ready to roll. I have always assumed
that "Selective" was a way to avoid loading certain items rather than
the entire "Normal" list, when the full "normal" Startup list is
not desired for some reason. Never mind the semantics; how do I get it
back to where it loads everything and uses a friendly 200 MB PF?

--
William B. Lurie

Is the user name column empty? Or missing? Are there applications listed that belong to System, Local System or other machine accounts? If the name column is empty:

http://www.winxptutor.com/tmuserblank.htm

If its missing, go to View, Select Columns and make sure the User Name column is checked off.

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> Is the user name column empty? Or missing?

Are there applications listed that belong to System, Local System or

other machine accounts? If the name column is empty:

> http://www.winxptutor.com/tmuserblank.htm
>
> If its missing, go to View, Select Columns and make sure the User Name column is checked off.

Doug, the user name column is empty. I believe it's present, but empty.
So in an hour, I'll go around again, and if it's empty, I'll see
if the link you gave is one that I am capable of using. Thanks.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. All it tells you to do is click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Locate the Terminal Services service and set it to Started. It should also be set to Automatic.

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. All it tells you to do is click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Locate the Terminal Services service and set it to Started. It should also be set to Automatic.

Okay, Doug, I think the horse is past beating.
I found Terminal Services, and dbl-clicked.
First it gave me an error panel: Configuration
Manager: The PnP service or another required service
is not available.

Clicked Okay, went on and did as you said, and after
a while it went back to the Config Manager error
pane. When I clicked OK (having no choice), it sat
there with the ship's steering wheel spinning
(Plus' equivalent of the hourglass).....after 20
minutes, I tried to break it loose with everything
I knew, but it just sat. It wasn't 'hung' in that the
mouse moved the 'pointer'.

I'll wait for a little more advice from you knowledgeable
people, but I think it may be time to deep-six this
system, pull recently changed files to a CD, and start
with a new clone.

--
William B. Lurie

In Services locate the Plug and Play service. It should be set to Started and Automatic, as well.