What card is better?

mammothmoth

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I was browsing through graphics cards and I saw a few that really caught my eye but I am clueless on whats the better card for the price? The ones I have in mind are:

BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX 1gb

EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Superclocked 1gb

Asus GeForce GTX 280 TOP 1gb

They all look and have mainly the same specs but I just can't choose. I would like to keep my limit of around 500 hundred dollars.

If you know a card that is better than the above and cost less money please tell me it.

Thank you in advanced,
Bryce

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
first of all check out the reviews on the web,after that consider which offers you the best warranty/swap package,because as far as performance goes they are all about the same,but,you knew that already?? ,or you would not be asking,anyhow from what little that i have read on the subject there is no real performance gain with 1g of video ram at the moment,at least i have not seen many reviews that really encourage you to spend more for nothing or very little gain,512 vid ram with a good cpu and either 2 or 4g[or more] of main ram seems to be mainstream at the moment..:)

That's correct. They bin the cards in the factory and sell the best ones already overclocked and at higher prices. Some times they also add improved coolers.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
The fastest configuration available right now is tri 280s.

The fastest for the money is 4870 X2, and its less of a power hungry system. While it has better AA than Nvidia cards in general, X2 cards in general have terrible min frame rate...I had the GX2...good AVG but the drop in frame killed the experience. The same with my 4870 X2. Its a monster but its min frame rate is sometimes lower than 1 280 GTX.

Although I do agree with ranger in the end, @ the price the 4870 X2 is going for the X2 is both the fastest and smartest way of going if your you haven't decided on going sli (but going with CrossX) or if you just want to stick with 1 card.

You have to realize that choose a dual GPU card comes with it's highs and it's lows, more than a single GPU card, especially during quad fire, which is one of the hardest sli/CrossX configuration to optimize.

The more GPus their are, the more potential for power but at the same time the problems come with it.

But for a single card choice, go for the X2:)