Sign in with
Your question

Corei7 cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
December 31, 2009 2:04:35 PM

Hello all,

I am looking for cooler for core i7920 D0. My budget is 50$. I am having a hard time to pick one up. this is the last thing i need to pick up for my system. which one do you guys recommend? I plan to overclock at least 3.7G.

Thank you.

More about : corei7 cooler

Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 8:09:02 PM

If you keep your eyes open on frys.com you could pick up a corsair H50 for that price. Maybe a little more after shipping, but it's better than the $80 some places are charging for it. Just don't forget to get good thermal compound (I always use Arctic Silver 5, but some use Ceramique or the likes.)
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 9:11:29 PM

AS5 in reviews is consistently being beat now. It's a good paste, but there is better. Maybe you should keep up on the good stuff, not what you use.

The H50 is good, but no better than a top 10 air cooled heatsink. It's not really watercooling. Don't make me give you 10 links that state this.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 9:36:21 PM

Conumdrum said:
AS5 in reviews is consistently being beat now. It's a good paste, but there is better. Maybe you should keep up on the good stuff, not what you use.

The H50 is good, but no better than a top 10 air cooled heatsink. It's not really watercooling. Don't make me give you 10 links that state this.

You forgot to ask if I cared. :-P I like it, and I wanted to share my opinion. If you don't like it, then that's you. It's not for everyone and not everyone needs the best or "better" paste. I've been using it for years and I like it. And it's budget friendly. So... let me repeat myself here.

:-P

PS: I do use the good stuff. Good performance, good for the budget, and good for what I do. So stick your attitude in some other thread, please. And giving me 10 links to prove something that is nothing more than an opinion to me makes no sense. So please, don't waste my time or yours. KTHXBYE!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 9:56:20 PM

I've been using AS5 for ages too but on my last build I decided to try OCZ's Freeze thermal compound and it performed quite a bit better not to mention that at my supplier it cost quite a bit less than AS5 too so there goes that theory. :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 10:45:04 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
I've been using AS5 for ages too but on my last build I decided to try OCZ's Freeze thermal compound and it performed quite a bit better not to mention that at my supplier it cost quite a bit less than AS5 too so there goes that theory. :D 

I'm glad you had good luck with the OCZ product. However not everyone can get it as supplier cost, so I guess there goes your comment as well as your theory! :D  J/K. I know there are lots of options on the table, I just stick with what works for me. And I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder regarding OCZ in general. I don't like them due to some bad experiences. But that's just me and what I've been through. Not a general statement about the company or products.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2009 10:58:54 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you had good luck with the OCZ product. However not everyone can get it as supplier cost, so I guess there goes your comment as well as your theory! :D  J/K. I know there are lots of options on the table, I just stick with what works for me. And I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder regarding OCZ in general. I don't like them due to some bad experiences. But that's just me and what I've been through. Not a general statement about the company or products.

Fair enough. :D 

Just to clarify though I don't get special pricing from that source and the OCZ Freeze cost me five bucks whereas the AS5 from the same place cost me a tad over eight bucks last time I ordered it.

The only time I get any concerns about brands is when I consistently receive junk from the same place because other than that it's all about performance for me and I don't care what brand as long as the product works.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 6:20:59 PM

Quote:

PS: I do use the good stuff. Good performance, good for the budget, and good for what I do. So stick your attitude in some other thread, please. And giving me 10 links to prove something that is nothing more than an opinion to me makes no sense. So please, don't waste my time or yours. KTHXBYE!

1. The H50 is easily beaten by a $40 cooler:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h50-fort120...
A 7C difference is quite noticeable.
The last time I checked, that's 1/2 the price of the H50 for better performance. Also,realize, that not everyone lives near a Microcenter or Fry's.

2. The AS5 is no longer the top of the line:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...
The IC Diamond can be found for the same or lower price as the AS5: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-therm...
So, why not use the better stuff for the same price?
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 6:46:06 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

1. The H50 is easily beaten by a $40 cooler:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h50-fort120...
A 7C difference is quite noticeable.
The last time I checked, that's 1/2 the price of the H50 for better performance. Also,realize, that not everyone lives near a Microcenter or Fry's.

2. The AS5 is no longer the top of the line:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...
The IC Diamond can be found for the same or lower price as the AS5: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-therm...
So, why not use the better stuff for the same price?

And what case was that $40 cooler in? If it's in a higher end case, or something that has better cooling properties than most (more holes in the case allowing airflow, more fans) then to me, that would be null and void, at least to me. And also I don't like using other brands other than AS5. Like I quoted before, and I don't mind saying it again "Not everyone needs the BEST or 'better' compound." But that's just me.
m
l
a c 148 K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 7:46:00 PM

I'm a hardware whore ..... whatever gets the best numbers wins my $$ though I will make exceptions adding or subtracting a few points if I have had good or bad experiences with a company.

I used IC Diamond on last build tho I have about 5 tubes of AS here. While AS is a good performer ....remaining in the top ten or so even after all these years, my main beef with AS is therecommended 200 hour cure time. Beef centers around as I am messing with OC profiles and evaluating performances of various settings, don't wanna wait 200 hours to get to a point where I can reliably compare my efforts.

I thot about the Collaborative Liquid Pro stuff but as I recall dismissed it as it was conductive. Might do the Indigo next time around ... after I get to see how peeps do with it's rather involved install procedure.

http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

In the end what's best for one person may not be best for another. Use the product that meets your needs and which you are most comfy with.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 10:55:30 PM

Quote:
You forgot to ask if I cared. :-P I like it, and I wanted to share my opinion. If you don't like it, then that's you. It's not for everyone and not everyone needs the best or "better" paste. I've been using it for years and I like it. And it's budget friendly. So... let me repeat myself here.

:-P

I can concur how good the h50 is. Its working better than I could have hoped. I'm using two fans, sand-which the rad. Its on sale at bestbuy, 59.99 until Sunday. Goes on sale about once every 5 weeks. 4200mhz 1.44 volts mid 60's ,prime95. Intel burn test running at the same time, will drive it up about 10% more. I guess its not as pretty as some, lol.

they say its not real, but its really working.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 12:03:45 AM

notty22 said:
I can concur how good the h50 is. Its working better than I could have hoped. I'm using two fans, sand-which the rad. Its on sale at bestbuy, 59.99 until Sunday. Goes on sale about once every 5 weeks. 4200mhz 1.44 volts mid 60's ,prime95. Intel burn test running at the same time, will drive it up about 10% more. I guess its not as pretty as some, lol.
they say its not real, but its really working.

What fans? What ambients? It's not that bad with a bit of fan modding. Wish you had a TRUE etc with some push/pull fans to compare. For the price on sale it's as good as a top air cooler.

It's all about your results. Your happy, thats all that matters.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 12:43:52 AM

Precisely. To each their own. My set up works for me, but I wouldn't push it much past 4 Ghz and expect it to live a long life (so to speak.) You can get better results, and spend more money (or even the same amount!) but it's up to you and how you configure your setup. That's actually, in my opinion, the best part of building your own. You make it how you life.
m
l
!