1st time build, can't figure out problems :(

zebulun

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Overview of the problem

1.) Long hang on boot after crcdisk.sys
2.) MSI driver & utility CDs for video card, mobo won't load drivers in safe mode
3.) Can not boot regularly (hangs on any interaction

Full description of the problem and symptoms

So, I thought since I have a technical background I could handle this on my own, but that's not the case.....

It's a fresh build, my first one. Loading Vista took a looooong time, and each boot takes a looooong time. This is in part not only because of the hang after loading crcdisk.sys, but because of the Windows loading screen afterwards. Whenever I boot into the regular mode, I try to type in my password, either hitting a key or clicking in the entry field causes the system to stall.

I tried loading into Safe mode and loading all of the drivers. When I loaded the included MSI driver CDs and start the software, there is no option to load the drivers! Also, when I try downloading the drivers from the MSI site, they don't recognize that the equipment is MSI equipment, and won't load the drivers. Vista currently has loaded its own drivers for both mobo chips and video card.

I actually managed to update the video card driver by having Vista search the install folder, but that driver seems to not work, as even Safe mode won't load now.

Since the system loads into Safe mode, and I can access things (albeit slowly) I am assuming it's not a faulty mobo, video card, or PSU. Is this a bad assumption?

I also read that the system may need to be cycled a few times to have the correct drivers loaded for my DVD and HDD drive.

I already tried these steps:

1.) Loading the drivers manually
2.) Checking BIOS for wrong voltages
3.) Checking for a faulty HD (formatting, chkdsk)

My software:

* Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1
* No Antivirus
* No Firewall

My hardware

Custom build

* MSI P45 Platinum
* Core 2 Duo 7200 (stock)
* MSI HD 4850 (stock)
* Corsair 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
* Silverstone ST400 400W
* Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM IDE
* SATA DVD drive (OEM)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate. School is starting soon, and I need to get this fixed so it's out of my head....

leo2kp

Distinguished
Reinstall and make sure the drivers you have are Vista compatible. That's pretty much all I have for you unless you want to try other pieces of hardware...