Sign in with
Your question

Delayed boot on a new build...please help

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2009 6:21:56 PM

Hey, I could really use some help.

I am having issues with booting up my PC. After I first put it together it would not even boot. I would hit the power button and all the fans would come on, the lights on the mobo would come on and the cpu fan would also be running, but no display on the monitor. After the 8th try I finally got the computer to boot, granted it took about 45 seconds to get a display. I installed windows vista 64-bit and during installation the computer reboots several times. I learned then that the computer can reboot without any trouble, it is only when it boots up from a cold state that I get the delayed boot.

I updated the bios, installed all the drivers and still the problem continued. I tried booting by swapping out the ram and still the problem continued. Then things started to get stranger, when I got the computer to boot, after the mobo logo, windows logo, etc the display would just completely be blank. I could the things spinning but no display. However, if I hit the reset button the computer would boot up fine. (I was even able to play Call of Duty: WAW in 1080 resolution.)

I am not sure if this a power supply problem or a motherboard problem, hell it could even be a video card problem or a ram problem. I ruled out the HD and the cd-rom drive by just removing the sata connectors and I still had the delayed boot. Is anyone familiar with this problem or has some kind of knowledge they can bestow upon me to help me figure out which parts I should RMA.

These are the system specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
EVGA 512-P3-N879-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

Please help.

More about : delayed boot build

February 12, 2009 10:46:16 PM

I have a similar build to yours and share a common concern. From the time I press the power button to the time the BIOS screen appears is about 15 seconds. My computer is stable, I built it 2 months ago. I dual boot XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 beta. OS re-installations, driver changes, BIOS changes have no impact on this wait period. During this wait period all 6 phases on the motherboard are illuminated and one at time dim until the BIOS POSTs. I have tried both the F6 and F7 BIOS to no avail. The interesting thing our builds have in common is the 650TX power supply. I am not quite sure what to do next but will let you know if I find anything out.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale
G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
HIS 4850 512 MB
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
!