Sign in with
Your question

P5Q Pro & Vista ultimate upgrade question

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2008 4:09:28 PM

The rest of my rig is coming in today, so tonight is a big night! I have a question though. I'm new to sata (mine is all ide still) and I don't know how many cables the mobo came with. I bought a HDD and two bunners, so I will need three sata cables, correct? Or are the sata cables like the old ide ones where you could connect two drives on one cable.

Also, I have a student version of windows ulitmate upgrade ($18!). What does upgrade mean? What do I upgrade from? XP? Also, I know ultimate has the option of 32 or 64 bit, right? So will my upgrade version have it even though it says 32 bit on the disc?
September 23, 2008 5:37:01 PM

First, SATA cables are not like the old IDE. You have to connect each SATA cable individually for each device. However, you can connect multiple drives from one power connector of the PSU, that hasn't changed.

Second, can you give a link of what OS you bought? What you have probably requires an original copy of XP to upgrade from, but I wouldn't know for sure. If it says 32 bit on the disc, then the OS you can install is 32bit. It doesn't include the 64 bit.
September 23, 2008 7:19:41 PM

So mobo's only come with two sata cables now? That sucks because I need three!

I can't send you the link bacause you'd have to logon to see it. So if it's an upgrade from XP, does that mean that I have to install XP first, and then do the upgrade? Or would it just ask me for an XP serial key?
Related resources
September 23, 2008 7:34:34 PM

The P5Q Pro comes with 4 sata cables.
September 23, 2008 8:08:28 PM

that is actually 4 sata cables in the picture. I just got my P5Q pro put together. there are two 90 degree connectors and 2 traditionals.
September 23, 2008 8:11:51 PM

Oh, haha, shows what I know.

"I can't send you the link bacause you'd have to logon to see it. So if it's an upgrade from XP, does that mean that I have to install XP first, and then do the upgrade? Or would it just ask me for an XP serial key? " anyone?
September 23, 2008 8:59:05 PM

You can install a Vista upgrade without having XP. There's a trick to it. Basically you install Vista without entering your product key and it will install a trial version. Then you perform the "upgrade" and install Vista again but this time using the product key. No XP required, but in violation of the EULA if you care.
September 23, 2008 9:08:42 PM

Also, I will add that you can get the 64-bit version Vista for $10 from microsoft if you have a valid retail product key. BTW, 'Upgrade' versions qualify:

Go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/d...

fill out the information and Microsoft will ship you the 64-bit version of Vista.
September 23, 2008 9:23:08 PM

I will have to try all of that. I will have 4gb ram, should I get 64 bit? or will that in turn use more memory to run and run slower than 32 bit with 3.3 ram utilized...
September 23, 2008 9:25:48 PM

rwpritchett said:
You can install a Vista upgrade without having XP. There's a trick to it. Basically you install Vista without entering your product key and it will install a trial version. Then you perform the "upgrade" and install Vista again but this time using the product key. No XP required, but in violation of the EULA if you care.

I don't think this violates the EULA.
I had a problem with a 64 bit upgrade, and Microsoft support walked me through that exact procedure. You can't upgrade from a 32 bit os to vista 64 because the upgrade won't run on a 32 bit os. Sort of a catch 22.
At the end of the process you will have a file called "windows.old" which you can delete.

I love the 64 bit version.
September 23, 2008 11:10:37 PM

Try to go 64-bit if you can. You may want to upgrade RAM later on and you don't want to already be up against the 4GB RAM barrier without an upgrade option.

I'm running both 32 and 64-bit versions of Vista. I prefer the 64-bit version myself.
September 24, 2008 1:49:18 PM

Alright, so I got it all set up let night and installed vista. I didn't make me upgrade anything? I installed with the cd key provided and it worked fine... Now I haven't activated yet, but shouldn't it be fine? When I was at the begnining of the install, it asked if I wanted to upgrade (which was grayed out) or install Vista, so I installed Vista and seems to be fine.

Next question, what is so different about 64 bit? Is there compatablity issues with progams, games? I will look into the $10 switch to 64 bit.
September 24, 2008 3:13:25 PM

What you did was install a trial version that is good for 30 days. At that time, it will ask you to activate, and you won't be able to do so because it is an upgrade version. Your copy of vista will then be in a reduced function mode that is useless.

You need to go back and use the procedure outlined above. It will be less painful to do this now, instead of later when you have installed programs and done updates.
September 24, 2008 4:10:44 PM

Yes, do as geofelt says. Install Vista again but do NOT enter the cd key the first time. If you enter the cd key the first time you won't be able to 'upgrade' later.

Here is better instruction on how to do this properly:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_c...

After doing the double-install, delete the windows.old file from your hard drive.

The only difference that I've observed between 32 and 64-bit Vista is that adobe .pdf files do not show a live thumbnail for some reason. Perhaps it's because adobe has not released a 64-bit version of reader?

You will also notice that there are two 'Program Files' folders- one for 64-bit software and a 'Program Files(x86)' for legacy 32-bit software. Most software is 32-bit and will install into the latter folder.

Also, with 64-bit you will have two versions of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player available (32-bit and 64-bit versions). The 32-bit versions are enabled by default. You'll probably want to keep it that way because at this time there is no flash support for 64-bit internet browsers. You probably won't notice any other differences between 64 and 32-bit Vista. It's mostly about the 4GB RAM barrier.
September 24, 2008 8:02:39 PM

Thanks for all the infomation guys. So, the only reason 64 bit is better than 32 bit is for the RAM problem?

Also, bought a Lenovo T61 last year that has Vista Business, I put the key in that website to get the 64 bit version and it said offer not available. Why is this? I paid like $300 for it when I got my laptop!
September 24, 2008 8:07:04 PM

mazda6_stealth said:
Thanks for all the infomation guys. So, the only reason 64 bit is better than 32 bit is for the RAM problem?

Also, bought a Lenovo T61 last year that has Vista Business, I put the key in that website to get the 64 bit version and it said offer not available. Why is this? I paid like $300 for it when I got my laptop!

Call customer service?
September 24, 2008 8:08:49 PM

The 64-bit deal is only good for retail licenses (whch includes upgrades). Any operating system that is distributed by a manufacturer is OEM and therefore does not qualify. That's why the Vista Buisiness key didn't work.
September 24, 2008 8:09:59 PM

so then why didn't my Ulitame upgrade not work on the site either?
September 24, 2008 8:13:33 PM

I don't know why your Ulitimate key didn't work. Did you buy it at retail? Perhaps student versions don't qualify either?

It worked for me with my Vista Premium 32-bit upgrade BTW.
September 24, 2008 8:21:16 PM

I only paid $18 for it. Doesn't come with nice box or anything, just cd slip/case.

I'm stil trying to figure out how I would benefit from 64bit (besides the RAM issue)... Is there anything else?
September 24, 2008 11:07:36 PM

Thanks, doing the upgrade upgrade right now :) 
September 24, 2008 11:12:38 PM

mazda6_stealth said:
I only paid $18 for it. Doesn't come with nice box or anything, just cd slip/case.

I'm stil trying to figure out how I would benefit from 64bit (besides the RAM issue)... Is there anything else?

There are some security enhancements also. For example, kernel components are randomly relocated to make it more difficult for bad programs to find a hook.
September 25, 2008 1:51:43 AM

Hmm, after I had it all installed (twice) i started installing the asus drivers and on it's frist restart the system gets stuck in dos...saying something about kernel compatablilty.
After the fact I did remember that I didn't delete the windows.old would that have something to do with it?
Almost done doing the update again for the 2nd round...
September 25, 2008 2:45:15 AM

It just did it agian.
"FreeDos kernel version 1.1.35w (build 2035w-unstable, Nov 30 2005)
Kernel compatablity 7.10 - watcomc - fat32 support"
some other stuff....
"Bad or missing Comman Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
comman.com /P /E :256"

That's what it says this time. Last time it was something different.
!