2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) or 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

I am about to replace my Dell E510's RAM for new, more, and better RAM. However, I do not know which one is the best combo for my machine. I do not know if I should get a 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) or a 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). I am confused because one has more GBs and the other has higher speeds and I do not know which one is better. You guys know much more than I do. (By the way, I only have 2 slots for RAM on my motherboard).
6 answers Last reply
More about 2x1gb ddr2 6400 2x2gb ddr2 5300
  1. Are you sure that you can install 2GB modules? On Dell's site, they offer 1GB DDR2 - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V. Dell (or anyone else) don't seem to sell 2GB modules for it.

A Dell E510 normally has 4 memory slots. Does yours really have only 2 slots or it still has 2 empty slots?
  2. I am pretty sure that I have only two slots. I did kind of custom ordered by dell from dell. I did not order one off the magazine or something like that. Also, newegg.com said it would work.
  3. Did you visually verify how many memory slots there are? I'd rely on Dell more than Newegg to determine what works and what doesn't in a Dell.
  4. nvm i do i have 4 slots. I was looking at the wrong slots.
  5. Also, you must consider the following:
    - if you have a 32 bit OS, you'll only have 3.2Go of recognised RAM
    - depending on your CPU, it might not be worth putting 8Go anyway: if you've got an old P4 or a small C2D (E2/4), they just don't have use of that amount of RAM
    - finally, you might not need it: unless you have a wide array of progamms open at the same time, you won't see the difference between 4 or 8Go.
    If you're using XP as an OS, I don't event thhink that over 2Go is usefull.

Think about it before spending any money on RAM.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 RAM Product