Sign in with
Your question

Easy Newb Question

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 26, 2010 8:09:20 PM

Well, I was looking through the first two pages of topics here thinking that this would be a question that was asked every day. Didn't find a single answer suprisingly.

Anyway, all I need to know is whether two different sized, different branded drives can be used together in a RAID 0 array. More specifically, a 2.5" Seagate Momentus 250GB, 5200rpm, and a 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 80gb, 7400rpm. I know, neither one of these are exactly what you'd call good drives - honestly, they both suck. I just figured I'd try my hand at RAID'ing and see if I could put them to use other than a desk ornament.

Much appreciated
-Matt

More about : easy newb question

February 26, 2010 8:30:03 PM

RAIDing it makes it go to the lowest capacity? well at least on raid1... prob same for raid0 i would think. But yes theyll work together fine, just youll only have 80GB storage
February 26, 2010 8:42:18 PM

my experience with RAID 0, they need to be identical drives. I've never even thought about trying it with different drives, but then again, I've only set it up on new builds. Same goes for RAID 1, but it makes sense that RAID 1 would default to lowest size.

Honestly, though, given what these drives are, I wouldn't do anything more than pop them into external enclosures and use them for occasional data migration/backup.
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 27, 2010 9:43:43 PM

I went ahead and RAID'ed them to a RAID 0 Stripe, and it seems to be working great so far... I'm getting a little under 160gb out of them. I'm suprised, since I wasn't really expecting two drives with two different RPM's to work, but I guess it does. Oh, and Tikr, I actually took that 2.5" drive out of a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini because the USB Controller was failing.. lol...
Ah, I guess 160GB of slow storage is better than no extra storage at all..
Thank sfor the responses, though.
February 27, 2010 10:34:18 PM

It does, depending on the RAID number you're going. Some will work better than others.
!