I've just built a new sys:

ASUS Rampage Formula
Q9550
Thermaright Ultra 120 Extreme
2x2 GB Corsair Dominator 1066
Sapphire HD 4870
Gigabyte ODIN GT 800W PSU
Thermaltake Armor VH6000BWS

I assembled everything just fine, but as soon as i push the power button, the system powers up just for ONE second, then immediately shuts down. WTF??? I've put in another Corsair 800Mhz RAM (not the Domintor) but just the same happens: Sysem powers up, everything lights up, then immediately shuts down... What causing this? PSU? Mobo?
BTW i've connected the case fans on the mobo, but they wont spin except the CPU fan. I ve even reinstalled the cpu heat sink in case the CPU got hot, but just the same...

Problem is very likely a short. I would unplug everything except the CPU, video card, and 1 DIMM RAM and try and power on and get to BIOS. If after unplugging everything BIOS is still not posting, you likely have a short to the MB . Then remove the MB from the case and build it outside the case with CPU, 1 DIMM RAM and video card and see if it posts then. If so, carefully assemble the MB properly in the case with proper standoffs and be sure every connector to the HD, optical drive, fans, etc. including all other system periphals are properly and securely in place. Something as simple as a loosly seated SATA cable or an improperly installed fan connector can cause the system to short out. You eliminate all this by unplugging everything and try to post with the basics, CPU, VC, and RAM.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Lol i just did the same as u discribed: Assemble ONLY the mobo, CPU, 1stick of RAM and the Video card and 1 HDD + PSU... It WONT EVEN POST, just ligts up-and-down... I try to loosen the mobo screws now, see what happens...

Unplug the HD, bith the power and SATA connector cable. If it still does the same thing, power on briefly then shut down entirely, you likely have a short to the MB. You do have the 12v 4/8 pin plugged in to the MB to supply power to the CPU? The CPU is installed in the socket correctly and any thermal paste is not touching the socket itself?

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Yes, i plugged both the 24 pin AND the 8 pin EPS +12V EATX12V connectors... this is a Gigabyte Odin GT 800W PSU... So it must be able to handle the devices...

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Double check and triple check that you got the 12v atx CPU power 4 or 8 pin plugged in from psu to mobo as well as the 20 or 24 pin main power.

Edit: Ok nevermind.

Have you tried assembling everything outside the case.
Do you have the power plugged into your graphic card?
Your Bios might need updated with a older CPU.
You PSU could be partially dead or the video card could be DOA.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
This is an LGA775 mobo, the CPU fits only in one direction... A removed and reinstalled heatsink in case t CPU gets hot...

garpizzle

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Calm down sir...This happens all the time.

0: Power down and unplug PSU.
1: Completely remove mobo from case / mobo tray. DO NOT PLACE YOUR MOBO ON A CONDUCTIVE SURFACE (carpet is conductive)
2: Disconnect everything from it. Ram / Vid card / HD's / Power
3: Remove BIOS battery and reset CMOS
4: Wait 5 minutes for mobo to completely drain out
5: Connect 1 stick of RAM, Power Cables (24 pin & 8 pin + PCIE if your vid card needs it), vid card...Dont connect your HD yet.
6: Connect power sw cable and PC speaker (if you have one) from case
7: Connect your Keyboard
8: Power On your system

If you boot up into BIOS your good. Reconnect your HD and install windows. BTW Vista doesnt like installing with more than 2 gb of RAM.

If not...Try the other stick of RAM after repeating these steps...If your still a no go try re-seating your CPU...Listen for Beeps from your mobo. They will indicate a problem. ASUS is notorious for bad boards on boot.

garpizzle

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Troubleshooting If you still cant post:

1: If you power on and the case lights / fans dont come on you could have bad power from the wall, a bad PSU, bad / loose case wiring or a possible bad power switch on your case.

2: If you have PC speaker (essential for troubleshooting) and you have tried everything else, try booting up without a your ram installed. If you hear beeps it means that your CPU is good...if not you have a bad CPU.

3: If the second step got you some beeps then Install your ram and try booting up with no vid card. If you hear beeps your ram is good.

4: If third step got you beeps then install your vid card. If you hear beeps or you cant get into bios its probably your video card.

5: If none of this works when you have just the basics attached to your mobo..Your mobo is probably the culprit.

Motherboards use the following Test methodology in self test to determine error codes / beeps

CPU => RAM => Video Card => Keyboard => Boot

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
:(((( They didn't supply my mobo with speaker, i only have a small LCD poster which i have to connect manually to the MOBO. The poster says: CPU INIT... I have already removed the battery from the mobo... will wait for 10 minutes and replace it.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
SO FAR I FIGURED THE FOLLOWING: IF i connect ONLY the 24 pin from the PSU, the system powers up, the CPU and VGA fans spin very fast, but it wont shut down but it also wont post tooo because of the unconncected 8 pin.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
It is not possible to connect the PCI 8 pins to the CPU because the plugs have other shape. I really dont know what the problem might be... I think it can be a faulty PSU or mobo,BUT if the mobo is, then i will never buy nother ASUS mobo.I had a STIRKER EXREME before tis and had a lot of problem with it too... I have alreadt played with the "remove battery and wait for 5 minutes and place it back" method with no luck... NO POST, JUST powers up not even for one second and down...

If the MB powers on briefly (for one second like you describe) then shuts off...the problem is a short. Take the MB out of the case and build it with only the CPU, 1 DIMM RAM amd video card. If it still shorts out, take the HSF off and get a magnifying glass and look at the CPU socket and be sure there is no thermal compound on the socket and also on the CPU socket connectors. Also, hook a speaker to the MB speaker header and boot the system with NO RAM. If the MB beeps it is fine, working. LOL, the MB is telling you wih it's beep..."hey, I'm beeping because there is NO RAM!"

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
If you have already attempted to get the system to power on with the motherboard outside the case and it still has not achieved post then I'm fairly sure it your motherboard.
Funny story, my first PC build ever was with an ASUS motherboard that had the same problem you're having. I RMA'd it and never had a problem with it after I got it back from repairs, in fact I still have that motherboard somewhere and it still works.
My point is, these things happen, you should not assume the manufacturer can't build a decent piece of hardware to save it's life just because you've had the misfortune of receiving a faulty motherboard.

Another thing, you are using PC8500 1066MHz. RAM which requires more than the 1.8v the BIOS default is set to supply. PC8500 requires 2.0-2.1v or more to function properly. Try other RAM if you have it. It is possible the MB is a pile of poop. Apparently, the MB powers on and stays powered on until the 12v power to the CPU is applied? I don't know...the CPU is new too as is all the components.

garpizzle

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Szala...I hate to tell you this man but its probably your motherboard. You could call ASUS and do an RMA...Or you could take it back to your place of purchase and exchange it for a different brand. I used to use alot of ASUS crap...and now I don't. Mostly because I have had to RMA every ASUS board I have ever owned. ASUS sucks the elephant pooper.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
LOL i have now everything outside my case, i have only the CPU and the heatsink installed, no memory, no videocard, just the mobo CPU. When I hit the power button on the mobo the same thing happens: It flashes up for a split second and dies... LOL I LOVE ASUS and their EXPENSIVE CRAP MOBOS!!! What other barnd do you recommend? Gigabyte, MSI?