Not sure where the problem lies

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hey all,

I recently posted up about issues with DVD playback, I have a followup question.

I was getting issues with green garbled squares appearing while playing DVD's and, presuming the problem was my DVD drive, I have since replaced it with an LG BluRay drive.

I'm still getting the problem, it's occasional flashes of these garbled green squares that cover the screen for a second then disappear, the film keeps playing. I was watching a DVD earlier which hung after displaying the symptoms, I then watched a known good movie which displayed the symptoms once in the 1 and a half hour movie but didnt hang so I'm presuming the movie (which was a rental) was faulty since no other known good movies hang like that.

I've run a furmark stability test on my GPU for 15 mins with no problems and a peak temp of 89 degrees (HD 5870) so it doesn't seem to be the GPU.

Can anyone shed any light on why I occasioanlly get this garbled green squared screen for a second (maybe once or twice per film while watching movies (they're legit retail DVDs before anyone asks)?

One extra detail is that if I rewind the movie and play back the bit that just displayed the symptoms, it doesnt happen again.

Any ideas?

James

Braindead-75

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
How old is your video card, what size cache, how much ram (in the video Card) what screen, how old, HD movies?

If your card is old replace it 90% sure it has to do with your card since it's not there when you rewind. Plus thhe new cards can do so much more: Fm radio, HD, 3d etc. and 3d movies are coming norm this next year.

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Like I said, it's a HD 5870, so, less than 6 months old? 1 gig ram, 23" monitor, yes HD movies...

I'm not sure what you're asking lol

My card is not old at all and I'm sure that's not the problem.

Thanks for your reply though!

PS What kind of GPU has FM radio??? Are you sure you know what I'm asking here cuz you're not making much sense at all!