Totally new build of XP Home.

At boot there is an option that says"

Pleas select operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 27, 26, 25 secs....
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

There is only one, ONE partition on the drive. There is no other CDs
present. I can only assume that Windows saw that CD in the drive & saw it
as another OS. =/

First question is how do I remove the option for the non-existent XP?
Second question is how to I lower the time from 30 secs to 5 secs or
eliminate this selection screen?

TIA

Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
to delete incorrect boot paths.

If the above does not work for you, then:

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:

Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
Your boot.ini file should then read similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

> Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
> Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
> to delete incorrect boot paths.
>
> If the above does not work for you, then:
>
> Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
>
> Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit
>
> CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
> Your boot.ini file should then read similar to this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Joe S." wrote:
>
> | Totally new build of XP Home.
> |
> | At boot there is an option that says"
> |
> | Pleas select operating system to start:
> |
> | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 27, 26, 25 secs....
> | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> |
> | There is only one, ONE partition on the drive. There is no other CDs
> | present. I can only assume that Windows saw that CD in the drive & saw
> it
> | as another OS. =/
> |
> | First question is how do I remove the option for the non-existent XP?
> | Second question is how to I lower the time from 30 secs to 5 secs or
> | eliminate this selection screen?
> |
> | TIA

THANKS!

All better now. =)