Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Window 7 freezing up in facebook games.

Last response: in Windows 7
September 7, 2011 12:21:33 PM

I recently upgraded my mothers computer to a dual core with Windows 7. She loves to play games and her favorite is Video Bingo in Facebook (Mesmo games). Since this upgrade bingo will freeze up after the game is completed prior to awarding tokens and asking if you would like to play another game. So far I have tried Windows Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox web browsers, cleared the cache for both the browsers and the computers DNS cache. Additionally, I have disabled tcp autotuning, removed remote differential compression, and removed IPv6. Also, I have upgraded the graphics driver. All Windows 7 upgrades are current, Adobe flash and shock wave in addition to all adobe programs are the most recent. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64x2@2.2ghz, 4GB PC6400 800Mhz ram. There are other Mesmo games that are not responding correctly also. Every other App seems to work correctly and other than these issues this computer appears to work flawlessly. Unfortunately, these are my mothers favorite games. This problem doesn't exist with Windows XP. I do not want to switch back though. Really like Windows 7. Does anyone have any solutions for me?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 2:17:20 PM

have you tried contacting the developer of these games? I cannot say for sure but they might have compatibility issues with win7

when you upgraded the cpu did you update the motherboard drivers?
September 7, 2011 10:55:02 PM

AntiZig said:
have you tried contacting the developer of these games? I cannot say for sure but they might have compatibility issues with win7

when you upgraded the cpu did you update the motherboard drivers?

Thank you for responding to my question. I don't believe Windows 7 is the issue because I run the same app on my computer. I have an AMD Athlon II @ 2.8 Ghz with 4 Gb DDR3 ram. As far as the cpu upgrade, I have wondered for quite a while if this may be the issue. I am a novice at computer upgrades. Is updating motherboard drivers the same as updating bios? The computer in question has an AMD Athlon 64x2 +4200 upgraded from AMD Athlon 64 +3500. Would a motherboard driver upgrade be required?

Another significant factor is the computer in question is connected to the internet at 3Mbps and my computer is connected at 10.2 Mbps. I don't know if the faster internet connection is influencing this app's relation to Windows 7. There is a second computer connected to the same internet connection (3Mbps) with lesser specs that runs this app fine in Windows XP.

Again, I thank you for your help. As I mentioned I am a novice.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 12:31:09 PM

BIOS is not the same as drivers. You want to update the drivers so all the hardware that's connected/integrated with motherboard is working on the latest instruction set, since you are putting a newer CPU into it.
Score
September 8, 2011 12:44:05 PM

AntiZig said:
BIOS is not the same as drivers. You want to update the drivers so all the hardware that's connected/integrated with motherboard is working on the latest instruction set, since you are putting a newer CPU into it.

Ok thanks. Now I have to figure out how to do that. I have looked at Dell driver updates. My concern is that if I use the service tag number that it will only update the drivers for a single core processor since the computer was manufactured with a single core processor. Do I update the drivers from Windows?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 2:31:18 PM

Ok for 740 there's no win7 dedicated drivers, so you have to go with vista 64 bit drivers.

update your audio, network and video drivers from dell website

if you didn't update the sata drivers ( you needed them to install win7) then do so now too

if you didn't update the BIOS previously, do it now too.

There's no drivers for processors, there's just drivers for how motherboards work with the sockets that are built into them. If the socket supports different core processors, the motherboard driver is supposed to accomodate all of them regardless of OS
Score
September 8, 2011 4:26:57 PM

AntiZig said:
Ok for 740 there's no win7 dedicated drivers, so you have to go with vista 64 bit drivers.

update your audio, network and video drivers from dell website

if you didn't update the sata drivers ( you needed them to install win7) then do so now too

if you didn't update the BIOS previously, do it now too.

There's no drivers for processors, there's just drivers for how motherboards work with the sockets that are built into them. If the socket supports different core processors, the motherboard driver is supposed to accomodate all of them regardless of OS

Thanks, I have a pretty good idea what I should do now. Hopefully it will all work out.
Score
September 18, 2011 10:28:46 AM

Well, I finally got the motherboard drivers and bios updated. It didn't solve my problem. I think there must have been something wrong with the Windows 7 installed on the computer. I bought the computer with it installed. I have installed Windows XP and everything is working as it should. We may try to put Windows 7 anytime upgrade on it in the future. Right now I'm tired of messing with it and relieved that I don't have to stress over it for a while. Thanks again for all your input. It's been a learning experience.
Score
September 18, 2011 10:29:29 AM

Best answer selected by Rlbeatty.
Score
a c 411 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2011 12:07:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!