Sign in with
Your question

Power Outage CPU overclock Locking

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2008 1:06:53 PM

I recently had a power outage when i was working on my pc and as soon as i got power back i tryed to power back up but got a long prolonged beeping sound (meaning a boot failure). I held the power button and turned it off again then back on and it booted up fine because it reverted back to default BIOS settings. I then turned it back off went into the bios and put the overclock back on that i used to have and once again lockup before boot. several more times i tried this but even with a very very small overclock and every time locked up. What could be the deal here?

Also the pc is plugged into a surge protector.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2008 2:25:34 AM

First off a surge protector is of little help on power outage, they only "Protect" for High voltage spikes. You really need a UPS to protect for dropouts.

That said, You might try clearing your CMOS. I would turn the power supply off (On the back of the PSU. Depending on your MB, I would pull the CMOS battery and short the "Clear CMOS" pins, then replace battery. On some MBs you can remove the shorting jumper from the Pins (ie pins 1&2) and put jumper on 3&4 for say 10 Sec. then return the jumper to there normal position. Check your MB manual. If this fails, then try reflashing your primary Bios as it maybe corrupted.
December 19, 2008 11:16:05 PM

i just did all that and still not booting with a small overclock...im thinking its fried.
Related resources
December 20, 2008 8:54:08 AM

Run a memtest on your ram.
December 21, 2008 10:37:21 PM

i cant ever get memtest to boot so thats not going to work
!