Sign in with
Your question

Asus M3A78 MOBO will not post

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2009 2:43:49 AM

New ASUS mobo in a completely new build will not POST.

Asus m3a78 mobo
4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
AMD Phenom X4 9850 proc
Sapphire ATI Radeon 3870HD 512mb vid card
OCZ 700W PSU

That's all the relevant hardware. At first the video card was not getting power. RMA'd with newegg for a new one that is getting power. I'm still not getting a POST display. The computer will sound like it starts (fans, drives, lights, etc) but the machine will not power off when holding the front power button for 5-10 seconds.

Troubleshooting so far (attempted boot with each one): monitor works with a laptop, taken out 1 stick of memory, reseated memory, reseated 24 pin power cable, reseated 4-pin CPU power cable, reseated processor, tested processor in a different machine to verify it functions, reseated video card, reseated all front panel cables out of desperation.

Hopefully I've provided a detailed enough description for some quick help. I'm to the point of RMA'ing the mobo but I needed to check with you guys first to see if that's absolutely necessary or if I've overlooked something.

More about : asus m3a78 mobo post

January 23, 2009 2:48:28 PM

So I need to update the BIOS. How would I go about doing that without a processor that works with the board? Relatively basic tech skillset here, sorry.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2009 3:43:02 PM

Honestly, if your current mobo can't support your CPU out of the box, it's worth less trouble just getting a new one. May I suggest the ASUS M3N72-D? It's roomy enough for any further upgrades you'll want to purchase.
January 23, 2009 9:51:27 PM

I'm not sure a $50 jump up is going to go over well, though. Otherwise that would have been the first thing I'd have done.
!