A Back Up Drive for an Older Non-Techie

Ham Williams

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hello,
I have an older Dell desktop, with Windows XP (home), running a Firefox browser. It has a 40 gig capacity of which I've used about 30. I'm an older, non-techie, retired guy looking for a simple back up device that can be programed to TOTALLY back up everything (programs, files, photos, etc. - the entire hard drive) and update the modified files on a daily basis. What could be my reasonable options?
Thanks for any help.
Sincerely,
"Ham"

Solution
Get a USB external hard drive (with eSATA also possibly for future needs) and use Paragon software or Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to automate the backup.

cmrhm

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
i need one external hard drive for my lap top. Which brand you guys would recommend? Is there any difference for the external HD using for desktop or laptop?

Ham Williams

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks, evongugg,

With my (limited) understanding of the back up software description, I would select 'Paragon System Backup 2010' - which 'sounds' good to me. With that software program, could just about any good external hard drive be 'programmed' to back up the entire existing hard drive or would I need a more specific brand/model? I so appreciate your help.
Thanks,
"Ham"