ashy

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
So I'm sort of at a point where I'm just wondering which way to go, and I suppose I could do both but I'm not sure I want to. Will my PC become faster if I overclock for roughly $50 or stick another 4gbs of memory for a total of 8gbs for a little over $100.

I don't play a ton of games but I'm just looking for something to help my pc boot faster and, well, do everything faster. Are there programs out there that might optimize this too?

So what's the better way to go - also, what are the advantages I'd have overclocking versus getting more RAM - is the RAM just the all-around better way to go? Is it worth spending more than twice as much as overclocking?

btw, i'm using a gigabyte x38-ds4 with an e8400 and 4 gbs ddr2 1066 from Mushkin.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Is the e8400 overclocked? Why would it cost $50 to overclock? You'd probably see more difference in lowering the timings than overclocking or buying more ram.

he prolly is using the stock cooler and will upgrade to a better one for his OC. I would definately OC. OC will not only increase your core clock but improve memory performance. 4gb is more then enough right now.

As for optimizing your right just make sure your not loading any unnecessary apps and services during startup. Make sure you disable any unused controllers in the motherboards bios too.

ashy

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
the e8400 is not OCed and is using the stock cooler - I've been using the system for a while and debating whether or not I want to OC or tweak and have finally decided that I want to.

It's actually going to be more like $42 for the cooler I'm looking for, new thermal paste, and shipping. I was just wondering if it made more sense to spend $110 roughly for another 4gbs and if that would speed up the system by disabling windows virtual memory or whatever it is.

btw the ram is set at 5-5-5-15 which is what its rated for.

Are there programs that are really good for making sure you're only booting with the necessary programs? I thought I remembered something like that but I just don't know.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
you don't need any programs to select which progs you want at startup.

i'm using xp32 so if you have that, just go to "start" menu bar, click it and then "run"...

after that type in "msconfig", and a menu will open up, select the "startup" tab, and uncheck all the progs you don't need at startup, restart your comp and its good to go.

and i would definitely go w/the OC, its a free performance boost. i have the same mobo as you do, and it's pretty easy to OC it.

if you really want to boot faster, SSD drives? :p