Building the Green Monster

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
My 6yr old son and I have started to build our first computer and the only thing he stated was that it had to be Green; the rest is up to me. I have researched this very thoroughly and I think everything should work fine once I assemble all the componets. Tom's forums have been a great help this far and I just want to post everything I have put together to see if anything jumps out at anyone that could be a problem. Here is what I have so far:

The Green Monster Case:
0f2c_1.JPG

Logisys 650 Watt 24 PIN Green Gamer Power Supply:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/misc/Logisys-psu/
PS-LGS-650W-GR-2.jpg

KINGSTON RAM DDR PC3200(400MHZ) 2 1 GIG Sticks &
an Intel Pentium 4 651 3.4GHz 2MB LGA775 CPU on an
Edit: FOXCONN 661GX7MJ-H Motherboard
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000325
simg_t_os5068715fcf511f5dca441de8cda6ec9296e2e72jpg

Western Digital 800JB Hard Drive (Hoping I can Just update the bios without reloading XP)

Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro Agp 512mb Graphics Card:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=168&grp=2
20d6_1.JPG

I have a new Heatsink & Fan as well, my only concerns are the chipsets and Bios upgrades. Any thoughts?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Does it really have to be bright green? PCBs of a darker shade of green would increase your choices considerably. The thing is, ancient hardware are rare, so retailers tend to charge unreasonably high prices for them. Moving back into the mainstream will both give you better performance and cost less at the same time.

And trust me, a 6 years old will get mad like anyone else when waiting 5 minutes for the computer to boot up. While lower end hardware is fine for children, you're really overdoing it... :sarcastic:

randomizer

Champion
If you can dump the sickly green motherboard and get something newer, you can throw in a much faster CPU... MUCH faster. Probably cheaper too. 2x1GB Corsair Value DDR2-667 (green PCB) and an NVIDIA PCI Express video card (should be green) should do nicely.

EDIT: A case with no window will hide the lack of green inside :D

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I already have all the shown componets including the Green case & PSU, The Celeron Processor in his old PC is painfully slow. The Pentium 4, 2 gigs of Ram and the graphics card should be overkill.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

The Case does have a window with a Black light, notice the latch on the case to open it.

randomizer

Champion

I was insinuating that you buy a case without a window ;) But I guess that won't happen, so nevermind.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I know it isn't the best looking tower ever made but it was $45 on eBay and the Green PSU was a nice touch for $60. The Graphics card was the fastest available for an AGP board, used it was $130. The CPU was the Fastest direct upgade for my Motherboard and I think it ran about $100. We had the Ram already so $335 seems pretty reasonable and this machine should scream.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I knew I would miss something stupid like that, I have a FOXCONN 661GX7MJ-H Board but that means reinstalling all my software programs. Well it's probably for the best to start with a fresh Operating System anyways; first post edited to reflect the new Motherboard.

Should I upgrade the 80 Gig Hardrive while I'm at it?

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks for the info so far, I am still curious about the Chipsets and Bios Upgrades..

I Found a 150 Gig Western Digital Raptor Hard Drive for $120 on eBay. Since I am going to have to reinstall the operating system anyway I figured I could keep his old PC together if we need the programs on it and he can use this one just for gaming.

Is 2 Gigs of Ram and my P4 going to be enough for this Hard drive and Graphics Card?

For less than what you paid for the used 1950 Pro you could have picked up a new (and faster) AGP HD 3850.
I don't know how much you paid for the P4 651 3.4Ghz CPU but I think most of the people here would have recommended an $80 dual core E2220 2.2Ghz as being a more powerful CPU.

The micro-ATX motherboard might look lost inside that big case. Maybe adding a few green case lights will help cover that up.

The WD 150GB HDD isn't such a good a good deal either. Save $80 and get a Seagate 7200.10 160GB HDD.

Chipsets (motherboard) and BIOS upgrades. May not be required. Check the motherboard's website for BIOS upgrade notes.

The P4 651 / 2GB RAM / 1950Pro will be a serviceable build. Those case lights I mentioned might help the system seem faster! :sol:

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, I would have gone a differnet way if I wasn't just trying to just do a hardware swap rather than an entirely new system. I was just trying to get a faster CPU, Graphics card, Green case & PSU; it kinda spiraled out of control after that. I have all these componets and I think this system should be plenty fo him.

The Western Digital Raptor would smoke the Seagate 7200.10 160GB HDD; the WD runs @ 10,000 RPM with a 16 MB Cache. I think it will help make up for the fact that I didn't go with a dual or quad core set up.

It will not.

The WD Raptor will save you a few seconds on bootup.
time-boot.gif

And games will start a few seconds faster, game levels load a few seconds faster.
time-load-farcry.gif

Beyond that a Raptor has no real benefits for a mid to low end gaming system.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
So this couldn't be considered a Mid to High end gaming system? Please keep in mind that it is Green and does have a Blacklight in the case.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If your looking at the 3850, if perchance you have a pci express board, look at the 4670 on newegg for 80 bucks. Supposed to perform on par with 3850 and no external power connector required.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

What about all the sweet upgrades I put in it?

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Yeah, but it does have that 1950's refrigerator look that is all the rage right now.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
The "upgrades" you put in it aren't really upgrades. They're stuff that're like 2-3 years old, they'll still handle most tasks fine, aside from gaming.