Should my case fans be running off my MB header?

wazup2510

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I have a Cosmos 1000 and have all my 120mm fans running off molex connectors from the PSU. My question, will I get more sufficient cooling using my MB to control the fans instead of the PSU?

Currently Real Temp shows my E8400 at 36C and Everest Ultimate shows 46C. I'm pretty sure RealTemp is more accurate.

As jsc mentioned, when fans are connected to the motherboard the BIOS might be able to control the fan speeds based on system temperatures. As temperatures rise the fan speeds will be increased.

If the fans are connected directly to the psu, then they will be running a maximum speed, maximum air flow, and maximum noise level all the time.

If your case has a lot of fans and your motherboard has only a few fan connectors, do not connect several fans to one connection. Your motherboard will not be able to handle it.

I have that case and run my fans from the motherboard headers. 36c is pretty good as my q6600 was running just a tab higher at 42c. But I have to say my pc was silent.

The case is going to be a little hotter then other cases in it's class. I switched to a antec 1200 and my temp dropped by about 5c. However it is much louder then cosmos was.