Sign in with
Your question

question about HD 4870 card and DirectX 11 ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2008 2:09:00 PM

hi..

I have bought recently sapphire hd 4870 card and I was happy with its performance and with DirectX 10.1 till I know that in 2009 there will be DirectX 11 and this means that there will be games in 2009 which require it or it will not run..

so I want to know if my card can support DirectX 11 or I have spend more money to buy new card??

and what is the differnece between DirectX and openGL and does my card support openGL??

sorry for many questions and thanks for help.
October 19, 2008 2:20:30 PM

Eagle_Eye said:
hi..

I have bought recently sapphire hd 4870 card and I was happy with its performance and with DirectX 10.1 till I know that in 2009 there will be DirectX 11 and this means that there will be games in 2009 which require it or it will not run..

so I want to know if my card can support DirectX 11 or I have spend more money to buy new card??

and what is the differnece between DirectX and openGL and does my card support openGL??

sorry for many questions and thanks for help.

Direct x 11 question:

No it does not mean that.
Directx 10 is almost 2 years old and do not know of a single game that requires directx 10. It will be a very long time before games require direct x 11. Maybe it will require it to get the very best graphics (like stalker or crysis has done with direct x 10), but it will not be required to play the game.
Your card will not support directx 11. It would be too slow at that point, anyway.

Directx and opengl are two different graphics APIs. Wikipedia is your friend.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2008 2:30:00 PM

google... is your friend...
Related resources
October 19, 2008 2:31:15 PM

Ok. A guite many questions. Let's try out...

No, the 4870 and no any other GPU at this moment does support DX11. 4870 support most things that are needed for DX11, but not all of them.
Don't hold your breath about DX11 games... It will take years, and all the games in couple of next years will run with DX10 GPU, well they will run even DX9 cards for that matter, so don't spent your money to new DX11 cards in near future. Your 4870 will be just fine! It can not do all the new graphic tricks, but not many games are going to support them in near future.

Your card support openGL, but openGL is an area where NVidia has had better support. If you look your GPU settings from "Catalyst Control Center" you will find out that there in "Graphics Software" tab it will tell what OpenGL version your card is running. OpenGL is only a software layer between the GPU and the program. So it's up how well the programing has been done.
October 19, 2008 4:04:06 PM

The current list of games that support DX10 after 2 years is as follows:

Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Call of Juarez
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Devil May Cry 4
Flight Simulator X
Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
Gears of War
Hellgate: London
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Lord Of The Rings Online: Shadows Of Angmar
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Unreal Tournament 3
World in Conflict

Not a single one of them requires DX10, they all support DX9 and none of them become dramatically different games when DX9 & 10 are compared.

The DX10 lighting, shadow & Smoke effects are nice, but its a subtle difference, not a dramatic one.

Even the list of upcoming DX10 supported titles is small... so I ask you this.

How long do you think it will take them to support DX11?

It's going to be at least 2 years before we see any titles worth while of DX11, and those titles will most likely support DX9 & 10, so your going to be perfectly fine buying a DX10 card, as by the time DX11 is worth making the switch for, it will be time to buy a new card anyway.
October 19, 2008 4:28:16 PM

thank you very very much and now I can enjoy with my new card.
October 19, 2008 4:47:40 PM

daskrabbe said:
Direct x 11 question:

No it does not mean that.
Directx 10 is almost 2 years old and do not know of a single game that requires directx 10. .

Halo 2...was that DX10 or just Vista only?
October 19, 2008 5:37:06 PM

SpinachEater said:
Halo 2...was that DX10 or just Vista only?

It doesn't use dx10 effects, just Vista only. Although cracked pirated versions can run it in XP too, with identical graphics. So if you paid for it, it's Vista only, if you pirate, XP or Vista, both use dx9. :p 
October 19, 2008 8:11:06 PM

I make a lot of statements, and I will continue to make a lot of statements based upon my opinions and experiences.

Your opinion differs, welcome to the concept of a forum.

A forum was a space designated within a roman city for people to discuss their ideas and opinions about life, politics, philosophy or anything else that took their fancy. People would discuss, debate or outright argue with one another until they found a common truth.

No one person will ever present absolute truth, it is only through discussion and disagreement that we may test the metal of the ideas of the many until we can come to mutual consensus.

I have presented my opinion, you have presented your opinion just as many others will present their opinions and it is up to those who ask questions to sift through the different perceptions of individual truth to find that which is true to them and their situation.

The OP just wants some reassurance that there Video card is not going to be completely obsolete and worthless in 3 months time like say many doomsayers seem to be preaching that it is pointless to buy a Video card now, because they are all going to be useless and worthless when DX11 comes out, as if DX11 is only weeks away.

It will be a good year or two until we see any real DX11 titles, which means the OP's card still has a lot of life in it and will not need to be upgraded for some time.

I really don't care about semantic arguments, and to me DX10 has been a lot of hype. I did not play Call of Juarez because the reviews I read about it said it was a slow paced uninspired buggy POS.

The only game that I have seen make full use of DX10 is Crysis and that game was significantly hyped and the levels are very poorly designed. Visuals stunning but spiritually numb with a some what lack luster story.

Crysis will not last the test of time, a game that looks better will come out next year with even higher benchmarks and suddenly it will all be about how many FPS we can get in e-Peen: Razor max!

I am not saying the OP has anything to worry about but arrogance concerning the view that people are not allowed to express opinions that differ from yours is not wise.
October 19, 2008 9:07:30 PM

How about this. If my opinion is so important to you, then I will say what I want and you can follow me around and correct me every time I post something you disagree with.

Sound fair?
October 19, 2008 11:15:34 PM

now now, play nice boys
October 19, 2008 11:19:29 PM

I was just trying to help the OP, your the one resorting to personal attacks and have "Don't listen to me, I'm a troll" in your signature.

Edit: You know what, your not worth it. I am not getting into this with you, your just being a jackhole. Waggle your e-peen in another direction please.
!