Sign in with
Your question

Computer unable to start.

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2008 6:50:29 PM

Hello, yesterday when i was headed for bed, i let my computer on so it could download some music during the night, and when i woke up it was turned off and wouldn't turn on. What's wrong? I've tried everything there is to try, what really frustrates me is that theres a light in the computer(on the motherboard).
Things i've tried:
Disconnecting everything but the power cable
"the lamp test"
Disconnecting everything and plugging it back in the computer(The cords to hard drives etc.)
Nothing really worked. Should i buy a new powersupply? Or does the problem lie elsewhere? Please help :??: 

More about : computer unable start

December 14, 2008 7:56:48 PM

Runes said:
Hello, yesterday when i was headed for bed, i let my computer on so it could download some music during the night, and when i woke up it was turned off and wouldn't turn on. What's wrong? I've tried everything there is to try, what really frustrates me is that theres a light in the computer(on the motherboard).
Things i've tried:
Disconnecting everything but the power cable
"the lamp test"
Disconnecting everything and plugging it back in the computer(The cords to hard drives etc.)
Nothing really worked. Should i buy a new powersupply? Or does the problem lie elsewhere? Please help :??: 

OK you've haven't given us much to go on (like PC model, or motherboard info, etc.)...

Here is a general check list:
Turn on the PSU
Try to switch on the PC with power putton (at the front)
1) Does the PSU fan go on?
2) Motherboard LED(s) comes on?
3) Any beeps from the motherboard (POST failure codes)??
4) What kind of GPU are you running - any monitor output at all?
5) Do the harddisks audibly power up??

If you are at 1) then either the motherboard is dead or more likely the PSU is dead. You can short out the sense wire (green) to ground pin (black) on the main 20/24-pin motherboard header to power up the PSU without using the motherboard. If the PSU fan starts it is probably OK:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml
If you are at all unsure about this just buy a connector to do this (they are like 2USD/1GBP)...

If you are at about 2) in the PC coma scale then it might be worth replacing the CMOS watch battery on the motherboard... Just pop out the 3V battery and replace with a standard CR2032 3V lithium battery (with PSU power OFF at the wall). Clearing the CMOS settings (without changing the battery) might be worth checking as well.

More details please on your PC or people on the forum will assume you don't really want any help!! :sleep: 

Bob
December 14, 2008 8:33:40 PM

Well i thought i had made myself clear. It is totally dead, only thing that indicates some life in the computer is the light on the motherboard. No fans no nothing, and if i press the power button there is no reaction at all.

Thanks for trying to help anyhow :b
Related resources
December 14, 2008 9:08:23 PM

Uhm, now i've tried using the paperclip method, meaning i put one end of the paperclip with the green wire, and another end with the black. Nothing happens. Does this mean my PCU is dead? I'm guessing it does ^^
Any help is still appreciated :) 
December 14, 2008 11:25:21 PM

Runes said:
Uhm, now i've tried using the paperclip method, meaning i put one end of the paperclip with the green wire, and another end with the black. Nothing happens. Does this mean my PCU is dead? I'm guessing it does ^^

Seems like it might be dead, one of the rails are dead. Thats why the mobo light is on but doesn't turn on.
December 15, 2008 7:10:31 AM

Runes said:

The PSU (Power Supply Unit) fan should start when you short out the green wire and one of the (earth) black wires. If it doesn't than you can presume that the PSU is a bit dead!! Assuming you haven't got some horrible "Dell"-type system with proprietary PSU connectors then you can swap in another power supply unit. Of course you can't just assume that the problem is restricted to the powersupply - but hopefully it is!! Did the powersupply fan make horrible noises while the computer was on per chance?? :pt1cable: 

If you are just talking about a glorified word processor PC then get a PSU off E-bay or out of an old PC being skip'd. Presuming your PC is quite old it should require an ATX connector (20-pin) and possibly a CPU power connector (4-pin). Make sure the new powersupply has the corresponding connectors.

Again I am still working in the dark here because you haven't released any details on your computer...!! :hello: 

Bob
December 15, 2008 4:29:15 PM

Well i'm off to buy a new PSU tomorrow, and no it isn't just a word processor PC :b it was heavy gamer PC 2 years ago, but it is starting to deteriorate now i guess :b i will update as soon as anything new will come up. And i am afraid that without my DXdiag i can't remember my computer specs :b But i am quite sure it is quality hardware. And now with my new powersupply I'm taking my chance to put in an ATI Radeon 4870 :b Getting a 650 watt (or was it 750?) don't remember ^^.. Anyhow if you think it won't be adequate please let me know. I think it should do the trick ^^

And by the way the gfx card takes 500 watt atleast.
December 15, 2008 5:51:51 PM

Runes said:

And by the way the gfx card takes 500 watt atleast.

:non:  :non:  :non: 

Your system might draw >500 watts (at full GPU+CPU load) but it's unlikely any graphics card draws that much!!

E.g. 4870X2 (the biggie just now)
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/9225-palit-radeon-hd-4870-x2-2gb-video-card-review-21.html
430 watts peak power (instantaneous peak - i.e. the highest draw possible)

Again it's a case of quality over quantity. You seem to be having problems actually naming any of the makes of the components you are using. Lots of wattage this, wattage that. All those figures mean diddly squad if the components used in the PSU are shoddy...

A quality PSU will last a decade or more and help keep your system stable. Whereas a crap PSU will die after a few years and might take some of your other components with it when it goes... :cry: 

Bob

December 15, 2008 5:54:03 PM

So, any good brands? I've ordered my supplier to get one home for tomorrow, but i don't remember which I'm afraid :( 
Thermaltake was offered to me, but at a costly 10% more in pricing, for less wattage :b
December 15, 2008 5:59:27 PM

I'm thinking of going for Corsair TX650W

I know corsair is of good quality, but will this do with my power requirements?

I'm guessing so, judging from 2x ATI 4870 takes less :b

But please confirm me on this since i am not sure at all ^^
December 16, 2008 9:44:44 AM

Runes said:
I'm thinking of going for Corsair TX650W

That PSU will serve you very nicely!! :sol: 

Bob
December 16, 2008 2:49:59 PM

Allright, thanks alot for all your help Bob :) 
!