Sign in with
Your question

Memory for ga ep45 ud3p

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2009 5:37:36 AM

im thinking on purchasing this mobo but i noticed in the specs for memory it states ddr2 1333mhz. now is that you can o/c youor memory up to that speed?
also what is a good memory for this board?
thanks joe

More about : memory ep45 ud3p

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 18, 2009 12:58:48 PM

I recommend mushkin (1st choice), or g.skill (2nd choice, from the 'no problems installing' standpoint, but quite a bit less expensive) for GB MOBOs. Don't worry about the 1333 spec; you don't want to pay for it, or try to get it to work. And, no, the spec doesn't mean you can "o/c up to that speed", it means that, if you've paid a fortune for RAM rated for that speed, you might be able to get it to work that fast.

Essentially, all RAM available today is DDR2-800; the faster sticks are simply 'speed-binned'; in other words, the maker tests sticks for ability to OC, and sets aside the ones that will tolerate faster operation for sale as a 'higher' speed, and charges a premium for them. It's the same with CPUs (which is why you find the same core at different frequencies); and, for that matter, an X48 MCH is just a 'speed-binned' X38...

I recall seeing a long (something like ninety posts) discussion on TweakTown from someone who had found a source for, and paid an obscene price for some (supposedly) 1333 or 1400 RAM; at one point, he was so frustrated with the unending grief of trying to get it to work at anywhere near rated speed, that he offered to sell it to the lowest bidder, just to "get it the $%#* out of my &%#@ing life!"

A repost:
"if you buy DDR2-800, its timings are likely 4-4-4-12; if you buy 1066, the timings are 5-5-5-15 or 18. The reason for this is that there are inherent physical limits to the speed at which the transistors and their interconnects can respond, so when you raise the speed (the frequency), you must raise the latencies (the delays to wait for a transaction to 'lock in' and be available to the CPU). People think, because 1066 is 33% higher than 800, that they should, therefore, have a 33% increase in memory throughput - not so! If you look at 'cycle time', at 800, a RAM bus cycle is 1.25 nS; at 1066, it is .938 nS; BUT, when you multiply by the latency, 1.25 x 4 gives you a 5 nS 'turnaround', while .938 x 5 is 4.7 nS - you really only get about a 6% gain ([5-4.7]/5)..." This is another factor to weigh when purchasing your RAM - 'price/performance' ratio - i.e., what percentage higher price (4G mushkin DDR2-800 is $46, their 1066 is $70, a 52% differential) are you willing to pay for that 6% performance increase?
January 18, 2009 2:24:54 PM

thanks for the input
i also seen someone else asking the same as me. (stupid me)
thanks again
!