Sign in with
Your question

My computer says the USB device has exceeded its power

Last response: in Windows XP
February 27, 2011 11:47:01 PM

Hello, each time I plug my USB device (for a weather station) the prompt show up exceeded power. This device has functions for nearly a year and half flawlessly?
February 28, 2011 2:30:39 AM

mickeyhornack said:
Hello, each time I plug my USB device (for a weather station) the prompt show up exceeded power.

Irrelevant is good operation for years. And it is not reporting excessive power. It is reporting excessive current. And so, is it? Had the USB port circuit measuring current changed? Has the system always been ignoring a fault until a software correction fixed it? Is wire to the station now leaking current? Or a failure inside the station may have causes increased current leakage.

To have been answers, start by providing numbers. What is the current draw (read its numeric specs) for that station? Was that station previously powered by a wall wart supply that has now failed? Is the computer's safety ground somehow compromised or changed by something else on the same circuit? Answers are too many without details including model number / url for that station.

Best we can say is the weather station might be drawing more current for reasons not stated.
m
l
March 6, 2011 11:15:55 PM

westom said:
Irrelevant is good operation for years. And it is not reporting excessive power. It is reporting excessive current. And so, is it? Had the USB port circuit measuring current changed? Has the system always been ignoring a fault until a software correction fixed it? Is wire to the station now leaking current? Or a failure inside the station may have causes increased current leakage.

To have been answers, start by providing numbers. What is the current draw (read its numeric specs) for that station? Was that station previously powered by a wall wart supply that has now failed? Is the computer's safety ground somehow compromised or changed by something else on the same circuit? Answers are too many without details including model number / url for that station.

Best we can say is the weather station might be drawing more current for reasons not stated.

this is not that complicated, it is a Sharper Image wireless 5 day weather station. the usb device is merely an antenna that sends signals from the computer to the actual weather station. reading temp, wind, % of precip......nothing special. All weather info is gathered in the computer and sent wirelessly to the home device. This is where the "exceeded power limit prompt" appears. when I plug in the antenna to the USB port, any port actually. I contacted the company and they told me they never had this problem before. The are sending me another antenna. thank you
m
l
March 7, 2011 12:39:05 AM

mickeyhornack said:
this is not that complicated, it is a Sharper Image wireless 5 day weather station. the usb device is merely an antenna that sends signals from the computer to the actual weather station.

Therefore these questions / suggestions still apply:
Or a failure inside the [USB / radio transceiver] may have caused increased current leakage. To have better answers, start by providing numbers. What is the current draw (read its numeric specs) for that [USB antenna] station?

If spec numbers says 0.5 amps, then we have a hard suspect. And then other things can be tried to isolate the problem.

I rarely believe a tech support guy who says they have never seen that problem. Too many tech support people would not even know about the 'excessive current detected' function. Sometimes confuse that with surges. If he did not demonstrate such knowledge, then he is often running to some manager to get you each answer.

To better define a problem. Or to have a simiple test to isolate that problem. Start with that rquest for the spec number. A few simple answers (numbers) can say who can fix the problem the first time.

m
l
!