8 Month previously working PC won't post

Lasek

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
ASUS Crosshair Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400 Windsor (3.2GHz)
8GB Corsair DDR2
EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX

This computer has been working for 8 months without a hitch. Earlier tonight there was a power outage, and when the power came back my PC wasn't working any more. The LED's work, and the fans spin up but it refuses to post (no beep). I've tried removing everything but the essentials (CPU, graphics card, 1 stick of RAM) and it still refuses to post. I've reseated everything in the motherboard. I'm fairly confident the problem lies in the power supply, the CPU, or the motherboard, but I am unsure which one. Anyone have any tips to help me troubleshoot the problem?

MSN: lasek@mchsi.com

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
It's might be the motherboard, since there's still power supplied to your system. Is your computer connected to a surge protector?

I had a similar problem maybe 4 years back and it turned out that my motherboard died during a power surge (all the other components still worked after I replaced the board). This might not be the case for you, but I'm just using it as a reference.

Lasek

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah I always make sure any expensive electronics are plugged into a good surge protector. The PSU is a rosewill 750W piece of **** which leads me to believe something is wrong with it. It could be giving enough juice for the fans and LEDs to work, but not enough to run the computer. Or the motherboard could be fried. Or the CPU could be fried. I just don't really know what to do aside from replacing them one by one... That's just a little to expensive for me right now.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
It's rare that a CPU gets fried, unless it's been running hot for an extended period of time. I have yet to see that happen before the motherboard dies. If you have a voltmeter, what you could do is test the power output of the power supply and see if its still giving a reasonable amount of power. Better yet, see if you can borrow someone elses power supply to test running your system.

Lasek

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I tested a molex connector and got right around 12V and 5V on the two rails, although I don't know how accurate it is when the computer is just idling.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Sorry for the late reply, I'd actually suggest you do this. Go to Bestbuy or a local retailer and get a new PSU first and test if your system boots up. If it doesn't refund the PSU. Easiest way to test it without actually needing to know how a multimeter works (since you have to test pretty much each rail).

If it does, Voila, problem solved.