Is this lag caused by the graphics card or my monitor?

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
So im watching a dvd on my samsung 970p and i get this weird distrotion. Im running a 8800 OC GT 512mb. I get this disortion whenever there is movement, although its usually not this bad. Thoughts? Thank you!

vlcsnap-1610109.png

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Now that's interesting :S It would be really easy to find out if you could try it on another monitor and tell us what happens. Also try several players such as WMP, or VLC media player.

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
well, i tried it on window media classic and it still gave a blurred image, just slighty different then the one above. the image i posted is from VLC.

I was going to try it on WMP but im having trouble finding a free codec for it...

G

probably a monitor issue almost all lcd screens suffer ghosting which looks similar to what you posted... although it also looks like what cjl said, that its not de-interlacing properly

Yes try it on a different tv/monitor... also try it on a CRT monitor/tv if you have one as it will show you whether its your monitor or gpu, if you still see this on a monitor such as a CRT its the gpu... if not its the monitor

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
The specs for the monitor say it is 6ms (gray to gray) whatever the hell that means, but I assume the actual speed is tleast twice that in color, so it would definately be ghosting.

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Well, i tied it on my roommates computer. he also has vlc and a LCD panel....and it still had the funny blurring, so im guessing its a coding issue.

my main concern was if it was caused by a 6ms transfer speed of my monitor.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
In VLC during playback go up to the video option and choose deinterlace and try several of the choices and see which one looks best......that is a de-interlacing problem ,not ghosting,ghosting looks a lot different than that snap.....

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Is that a screenshot?

You can't tell if the screen is ghosting from screenshot from within the program, as ghosting happens only on the screen

since the same thing happens on yer roommates comp it might be the source movie or VLC itself

try powerdvd or something as to see if it blurs like that as well

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
is this a screenshot? if it is than it can't be the screen. I had this issue w/ VLC once, it was deinterlacing problem; try another deinterlacing method from the menu.

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
this is a screenshot. deinterlacing wasn't even turned on, so im trying the different features now to see what works best.