Understand Dobly surround sound.

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
okay, well i need abit of help understand digital dobly, i have a sound card that has digital dobly, although my speakers are logitech x-540 and do not have a digital input on the back of them.

so here my question of understand.

1. if i connect my speakers up to my computer just by using the standard input and not a optical cable, will i still get dobly suround sound?

2. if i connect a dvd player up to my sound card using a optical cable and then have the speakers that are connected to the sound card wired up by standard cable will i get dobly surround sound?

any feedback would be great...thanx.

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
one more thing.. do you still get digital dobly surround sound if you are not using optical cables?

thanks.

Yep. Of course, you won't get the best possible sound with any computer speakers, but the limiting factor is the speakers themselves, not the way that they are hooked up.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Right I'm going to start of by being pedantic about definitions

Dolby Surround = 2 channel 44khz with encoded mono rear channels at 22khz

Dolby Surround Pro-logic = as above with additional 44khz centre speaker

Dolby Digital = 5 channel 44khz + subwoofer channel (5.1)

Then there are additional new formats such as dolby-digital ex and tru-hd etc

Anyway in answer to your first question - it depends on your software but yes provided the software supports 5.1 channel sound you can achieve this through your propsed set-up, most games and dvd software will support this.

2. Do you mean connect a proper dvd player that sits under your tv to the soundcard? If so - you wont get anything out of the sound card at all unless you run some software to decode the digital signal to 5.1, however i would reccomend not doing this as you are likely to introduce a delay to the signal which means sounds wont match up to what your watching.

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
well really its an xbox i want to hook up to the sound card via opticl cable and not a dvd player, just thought that it would make more since to ppl that way. this is my card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-052-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=&name=Creative%20Sound%20Blaster%20X-Fi%20Xtreme%20Audio%207.1%20Sound%20Card%20-%20OEM%20(PCI-Express)%20(30SB104200000) dose the card decode it for me? or do i have to do it, or get addtional software to do it?

thanks a million so far!

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

do you know were i can find this software?