RAM For Asus Maximus Formula

G

Hi !

I've got a little question for you. First of all, my actual configuration :

Asus Technologies Motherboard:
Asus Maximus Formula / Intel X38 Express Chipset / ICH9R Southbridge / Intel 45nm Processors Ready

Intel Core 2 Duo Central Processing Unit -> E8400 / 3.00 GHz / 6 MB L2 Cache / 1333 FSB / LGA775 Socket / 45nm Transistor Architecture

Zalman Technologies CPU Cooler : CNPS 9700 CPU Fansink / 120 MM Fan / 2-Ball Bearing Fan With Blue LED / Pure Copper Design / Disspation Area : 5,490 cm sq. / Weight : 764g / 19.5 dBA Minimum / 35 dBA Maximum

Crucial Technologies RAM: Ballistix PC2-6400 / 2048 MB / Dual-Channel Enabled / 800 MHz RAM Clock / Timings 4-4-4-12

Pioneer Optical Drive: 212D / Serial ATA Physical Interface

Seagate Hard-Disk Drive: Barracuda Series / 250 GB / 7200.10 / 16 MB Cache / 7200 RPM / 78 MB/s Sustained Data Rate / RAID 0 Configuration With ICH9R On-Board RAID Controller

Cooler Master Enclosure: CM 690 / 1 Front 120MM LED Fan / 1 Rear 120MM Fan / 1 Side-Panel Tri-Cool Red LED 120 MM Fan / 1 Top 120MM Fan / Front
Air Filter

Microsoft Operating System: Windows Vista / Business Edition / Service Pack 1 / 64-bit / English

Corsair Power Supply (Manufactured by Seasonic): HX 520W / 2 PCI-Express 2.0 Power Connectors -> CrossFire Possibility / 120MM Fan / Three 12V Rails For Better Stability

PowerColor Technologies GPU: Radeon HD 4850 / RV770PRO / 512MB / Quimoda GDDR3 Memory / Hardware CrossFire Capable / 6-Pin Power Connector Required / PCI-Express x16 2.0 -> Working on a PCI-Express x16 2.0 Bus With INtel X38 Chipset

Samsung Technologies Display: T220 / Digital Interface / 300 cd/m2 Brigthness / 20 000:1 Contrast Ratio / 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+) Screen Resolution / 2 ms Response Time

I'd like to sell my Ballistix kit to buy 2 kits of 4 GB since the RAM is sold to a ridiculous price. I already see people saying that 8 GB of RAM is useless, but I'm an enthusiast PC user and I always want to have more performance out of my PC. And the upgrade wouldn't cost me a lot of money.

With this amount of RAM, I'll deactivate the Windows' pagefile. I also like to work on virtual machine with VMWare. In the future, I would like to overclock my E8400 on a 500x8 bus configuration which is, I think, an easy overclock for a E8400 and a Max Formula. I only plan to overclock my PC when I'll feel to need of doing a such thing because as of now, I don't really feel the need of a faster CPU. It will be probably when my PC will get 2 to 3 years old.

The PC is used for almost every usage. From office usage to heavy tasks. Gaming, multimedia, heavy compressing tasks, data server, encoding tasks, virtual machines... Almost everything as you can see, and sometimes I feel like 2 GB isn't enough, especially when I'm doing heavy multi-tasking.

I know that 8 GB is ridiculous. I agree with those saying this, but I though that 8 GB for 100 $ CND was a good deal. I consider me as an enthusiast PC user. I'm 17 years old and I'm passionate into this domain.

I run Linux too. Ubuntu distrib. I'm also a Beta tester of Windows 7.

The problem is that I'm lost with all the RAM brands available on the market. I would have continued with Ballistix, but the 2x2 GB kit is not available on newegg.ca and is sold at a high price on directcanada.com ( I'm a canadian from Montreal ) So I've looked for other 4 GB kits.

I've found the G.Skill PQ Series

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

Since the RAM will be overclocked, I want to be sure the memory chips will handle a 100 Mhz overclock.

Then comes the G.Skill PI Series at a slightly higher price.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231211

Or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Kingston HyperX:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104038

I've chose the PC2-8500 speed for the HyperX since I've read the PC2-6400 chips don't pass the 475 Mhz overclock.

Finally, I've found a Patriot kit

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220293

So the question is simple : which one of these kits you think is the best one to fit my needs ? I also want a RAM that has good quality chip, not the one that has no transfer rate...

I'm really interested by the Kingston HyperX modules. Are the HyperX very good ? Reviews say yes, but I always want the best bang for the buck.

Here is the Maximus Formula QVL : http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2558/qvlfs0.jpg

And a photo of my PC for the layout :
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?179c095067.jpg

Thank you for your advice ! Ghost26

You can't go wrong with the G.SKILL PI Black 4GB DDR2 800 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209. 8GB should work just fine.

The Patriot kit requires a lot of voltage. Ideally 1.8-2.0V is preferable.

Unless you run benchmarks, you won't be able to tell the difference between quality 800Mhz and 1066Mhz memory.

G

Thanks for your answer.

But since I want to overclock the bus speed of my PC, I think that 1066 Mhz is a better way to go ? Don't you think ? Then, I would take the PI PC2-7200 or the Kingston HyperX, excepted if I'm sure that the other PC2-6400 kit are able to reach 500 Mhz DRAM speed, a 100 Mhz overclock ...

What's your recommendation ? Personnally, I think that a 900 or 1066 Mhz is a safer choice ... What's your point of view ?

Thank you.

Ghost26

Non-overclocked, your FSB to DRAM ratio will be 5:6 (or 333:400) if you install 800Mhz memory. If you overclock your E8400 from 333Mhz to 400Mhz, then you can set the FSB to DRAM ratio to 1:1 (still assuming that you use DDR2 800Mhz memory). If you want to overclock more while keeping a FSB to DRAM ratio of 1:1, than you need to overclock the memory. DDR2 900 and 1066 usually is overclocked DDR2 800 memory that's guaranteed to work at a the rated speed. Since there is no JEDEC standard for overclocked memory, the SPD table won't contain an entry for any speed exceeding 800Mhz. That's why you'll have to set the timings manually.

The G.Skill PI Black DDR2 800 should run at 900Mhz with relaxed timings, e.g., 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-12 and/or slightly higher voltage (both the DDR2 800 and the DDR2 900 might use the the same chips). At 900 Mhz with a FSB to DRAM ratio of 1:1, your CPU will be running at slightly over 4Ghz. At 1066Mhz (still assuming a FSB to DRAM ratio of 1:1), your CPU will run at 9 x 533 = 4.8Ghz. I wouldn't do it, but then it's your money, not mine.

G

Thank you for the explanation.

lol 4.8 Ghz I wouldn't do that too. I don't wanna break a world record with my PC ;) ah ah ;)

I don't want to pass the 4.0 GHz. I think that a faster FSB is better than reaching the 4.3 GHz. That's why I want to push the Bus speed to 500 Mhz. With a minor voltage tweaking, it is doable on my motherboard.

Is the ratio 1:1 the best one when you overclock or another ratio is still good ?

G

Answer from Kingston :

Summary of your request
Part Number: KHX8500D2K2/4GR
Quantity: 2
Model: Maximus Formula Motherboard
Description:

Hi.

I would like to get 8 GB of Kingston HyperX RAM.

Unfortunately, Kingston does not provide 8 GB kit.

I would like to know if there is a danger in the compatibility or for the performance when buying two kits of KHX8500D2K2/4GR. Some people told me it would be better to get a 8 GB kit since the memory sticks are built and tested to work with each other and since the sticks are identicals.

I have an Asus Maximus Formula motherboard.

Thank you.

----------------

Dear **********,

Your only option is to install one or two at a time on this board. No, you will not have a problem running two kits of 4GB. However, as you may know, this memory is built with aggressive timings and may involve overclocking the motherboard. Because this practice is not endorsed by any motherboard manufacturer, we do not list it as compatible nor do we test for compatibility. You may have to install the memory and enter the memory timings in the BIOS manually to see if the motherboard will accept it.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with full email history. Thank you for using Kingston on-line technical support.

Regards,

I think I'm going to buy the HyperX kits. It seems reliable, fast, good quality heat spreader, good quality/price ratio and overclockable up to 1100 Mhz. Seems good to me and I don't have the risk of the 100 Mhz overclock to get a 500x8 CPU configuration when I'll overclock my processor.

Any other advices ?

Thank you.

Ghost26

jayef69

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Please help

Memory that will work

Need serious help please. I bought a ASUS Maximus VII Formula/Watch Dog mother board. I ordered GSkill memory from New Egg. I decided to go with GSkll Trident 32 GB 4 x 8 sticks. My question is this will the F3-2400C10Q-32GTX work? Is it compatible to my mother board. I do not see it on the QVL at the Asus site.I have ordered the memory from New Egg. My email is jfayed@comcast.net. According to the QVL from Asus this memory is not on their QVL. I also bought the 4.0 Haswell CPU. Running a Asus GTX-780.

My other question is should I go with the Samsung EVO small msata SSD or go with the 2.5 SSD. Is the Samsung the way to go?

Really appreciate your help.

Also I will be running a Haswell 4.0.

Thank you Jaye

jayef69

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
To the person that is looking at the memory to buy. I have to say this.....I received my Gskills memory today. It must weigh 2 pounds for the 4 sticks I bought. I got the 4 x 8 2400 (XMS) 32 gigs. It looks like bad ass sticks. I hope it performs the way it looks.

I will let everyone know.

Jaye