Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What to do with leftover OEM heatsinks?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 4:27:26 PM

I always use a good aftermarket cooler, so I've got these stock Intel coolers leftover. Is there a good use for them? Throw them away? Keep the fans?

More about : leftover oem heatsinks

a c 145 K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 4:37:38 PM

I keep the fans.
m
l

Best solution

a c 224 K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 5:33:03 PM

Keep the Intel coolers, Intel requires returning the the original boxed heatsink with the CPU if you have to RMA it, the heatsink coolers have a SN on them matched to a corresponding number on the original Intel boxed CPU.

You need to keep the box and the heatsink that originally came with the CPU.

As far as I known AMD doesn't do this and I don't know when Intel actually started it, but its definitely 775 series.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 7:51:09 PM

I keep the fans, and chop them up and use them to make passive heatsinks to be used on MOSFETS/Voltage Regulators on PCs and hobby electronics. They also make good heatsinks for high power LEDs and or lasers (not the industrial type lasers lol).
m
l
January 1, 2010 9:09:37 PM

p.s. some of the "advice" we read here is truly hilarious.

MRFS
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 9:47:00 PM

I agree with shadow. Keep em, there are TONS of uses for them if you have a dremel tool and an imagination.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2010 10:34:38 PM

I have about 50 of them in my scrap box. Some of them have very heavy chunks of copper in them that I knocked out with a hammer and screw driver. Money at the scrap yard for my next "goodie........... If you're processors are still under warranty by all means keep them. Good reminder there.
m
l
!