What to do with leftover OEM heatsinks?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I always use a good aftermarket cooler, so I've got these stock Intel coolers leftover. Is there a good use for them? Throw them away? Keep the fans?

Solution
Keep the Intel coolers, Intel requires returning the the original boxed heatsink with the CPU if you have to RMA it, the heatsink coolers have a SN on them matched to a corresponding number on the original Intel boxed CPU.

You need to keep the box and the heatsink that originally came with the CPU.

As far as I known AMD doesn't do this and I don't know when Intel actually started it, but its definitely 775 series.
Keep the Intel coolers, Intel requires returning the the original boxed heatsink with the CPU if you have to RMA it, the heatsink coolers have a SN on them matched to a corresponding number on the original Intel boxed CPU.

You need to keep the box and the heatsink that originally came with the CPU.

As far as I known AMD doesn't do this and I don't know when Intel actually started it, but its definitely 775 series.

Solution
I have about 50 of them in my scrap box. Some of them have very heavy chunks of copper in them that I knocked out with a hammer and screw driver. Money at the scrap yard for my next "goodie........... If you're processors are still under warranty by all means keep them. Good reminder there.