Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade RAID1 Disks with new larger disks

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2010 3:57:46 PM

Hi folks. I'm wondering if there will be any problems with my disk upgrade scenario. I have a Dell 2850 with 2 drives in it in a RAID1 config. I'm going to be buying some new larger drives to allow for more space in the server. I want to take the existing RAID1 and image it over to a new RAID1 and expand the 2 partitions as well that are currently in the existing RAID. My question is whether there are any strange things I need to be aware of as far as the RAID arrays and their configurations go. I remember doing something like this before and losing the RAID information and never knew how I got it working. I plan on using Acronis Backup and Restore 10 to do this project. I was just going to put the two new disks in slots 2 & 3 which would make up a new RAID1. I would then boot to the boot disk and clone the 2 partitions that are in the RAID1 in slots 0 &1, extending the partition sizes during the operation. After that, I would move the 2 new drives from slots 2 & 3 and put them in slots 0 & 1. Removing the old drives from the server completely. I'd really appreciate information regarding this scenario. Thanks.
a c 114 G Storage
February 27, 2010 4:07:43 PM

You might wanna think about "phasing out" the server and replacing it w/ an NAS which will eliminate this issue in the future. With the X-RAID technology, two do what you wanna do, you just yank the older drive, install a larger one and array rebuilds itself. Rinse and repeat with other smaller drive and your done.

In your case, you could simply drag and drop the files to the NAS and retain the server for backups. here's what I used:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
m
l
February 27, 2010 4:25:26 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
You might wanna think about "phasing out" the server and replacing it w/ an NAS which will eliminate this issue in the future. With the X-RAID technology, two do what you wanna do, you just yank the older drive, install a larger one and array rebuilds itself. Rinse and repeat with other smaller drive and your done.

In your case, you could simply drag and drop the files to the NAS and retain the server for backups. here's what I used:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Thanks for the response, but I'm looking for an answer to the question I asked.
m
l
!