Your question

How to overclock memory on an MSI 790FX-GD70

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2010 4:49:49 PM

Hi friends. I have been building systems since 1995 and I've never overclocked a single one! However, I just finished buidling a new AMD system with an MSI 790FX board and Mushkin memory (4 sticks of 2GB each, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - 7-7-7-20 - 1.85V - 1.95V). The processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHZ (way fast!).

I'm not interested in overclocking the processor, but I do wish to try to get the memory up to the 1600 speed and 7-7-7-20 timings. The board defaults at 1333 speed and higher (slower) timings.

I have no clue as to how to overclock the memory to 1600 and modify the timing. If anyone on here would be kind enough to share their expertise with me, I woudl be most grateful!

Thank you.

Jim.

More about : overclock memory msi 790fx gd70

January 1, 2010 4:55:30 PM

Memory multiplier? I'm sorry, but as I said, I may be able to building and configure systems, but I have no clue about overclocking, or the terminology associated with it. What I really could use is help finding a step-by-step guide navigating through the screens and making appropriate selections. Thank you anyway for your suggestion.
m
l
January 1, 2010 5:19:06 PM

In the BIOS, under Advance DRAM Configuration, and after selecting to manually configure the settings, I get three menus, each of which have the option to select "Auto," "DCT0," "DCT1," or "Both." If I select "both," there is a huge long list of timing settings to choose from. I'm just looking to modify the TCL, trcd, trp, tras, and the "IT" settings, right?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 2:06:52 AM

jimrichardphoto said:
Hi friends. I have been building systems since 1995 and I've never overclocked a single one! However, I just finished buidling a new AMD system with an MSI 790FX board and Mushkin memory (4 sticks of 2GB each, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - 7-7-7-20 - 1.85V - 1.95V). The processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHZ (way fast!).

I'm not interested in overclocking the processor, but I do wish to try to get the memory up to the 1600 speed and 7-7-7-20 timings. The board defaults at 1333 speed and higher (slower) timings.

I have no clue as to how to overclock the memory to 1600 and modify the timing. If anyone on here would be kind enough to share their expertise with me, I woudl be most grateful!

Thank you.

Jim.

You could try but there's a 99.99999% chance that you will fail.

It is hard to reach 1600 EVEN with native timing, considering your native frequency is merely 1333MHz.

Try 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 and Command Rate(CMD or CR)=2 first and see if it will work.

No offense, but forget about your original goal if you can't even get this setting stable.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 2:09:26 AM

jimrichardphoto said:
In the BIOS, under Advance DRAM Configuration, and after selecting to manually configure the settings, I get three menus, each of which have the option to select "Auto," "DCT0," "DCT1," or "Both." If I select "both," there is a huge long list of timing settings to choose from. I'm just looking to modify the TCL, trcd, trp, tras, and the "IT" settings, right?

Just set the first four to the timing you are trying to achieve.
m
l
February 8, 2010 8:24:44 PM

i am using the MSI 790fx gd70 and seeking information on how to unlock the ram as well,i noticed in your description your mushkin memory was labeled blackline.I assume its for AMDs black edition cpu line,there is a way to access those features using the motherboard bios menu ....but how exactly it works i dont know, so i have not tried it yet because im afraid to fry my system!!! i am using the ocz ram and if you read the overview on new egg it advertises those combined features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Im lookin for some answer as to what exactly we need to do to get these MSI 790fx boards to access the rams proper speed.
m
l
!