negsys

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Just got a new com. Using ati 4870X2 with 2X2Gb RAM. I got into BSOD after using it for a few hours. Windows saying its GPU driver problem. Did some uninstalling and tried installing it with the latest driver too. Still it remains the same. Well. So i got a technician for help. Simply removing one of the RAM and everything runs good. So i decided to change the current RAM to the one tt is being removed. It went good too!
Whats happening? Anyone got any ideas? Btw im using windows 32bit.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
The 32bit OS only will see 3.25 GB or so of RAM. This is because it adds all the available memory together. So your GPU is 1GB total + 4GB RAM, means the OS probably threw an error due to that.

Removing one RAM module brought your total system memory down to about 3GB, which 32 bit systems like.

negsys

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I did not set the voltage in the bios for the RAM but i did run the memtest. No error at all. My GPU got a 2Gb DDR5 memmory. So does it mean tt my GPU + 2Gb RAM = 4Gb RAM total?Which is good enough?

Comparing 2X2Gb RAM to jus 2Gb RAM really diff alot when im playing crysis.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Okay, GPU memory is not RAM. They're two different things (albeit similar use). In addition, the extra memory that Windows does not recognize should not cause the BSOD (I run 4GB on my Windows XP).

negsys

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
alright.. I guess all these probs must be linked to the 2 RAMs. Correct me if im wrong. Maybe i just sit back and hope its jus one of the RAM is faulty.

Further testing!!!

TRENDING THREADS