How many computer needs a ups

ryan200601

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello

I think to have an ups is very important as a backup plan for saving a computer data file when we are working on our computer.
But I would like to ask if there's a information about how many computers can connect to an certainn ups system

Your question is like asking how many people can fit in a car. Depends on how big the car is and how big the people are :) Look up the UPS model, see what it's rated for.

An average basic use PC will probably use 100-150 watts of power, maybe 200 watts at load, with a 17" or so LCD monitor. A home UPS, lower end model, are made to run an average PC maybe 10-15 minutes, enough to save data and shut down. They also make full-blown enterprise UPS systems that will keep a bank of servers running for several hours. An older UPS may only keep a PC up for 5 mnutes due to battery wear.

ryan200601

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Sorry for the confusing topic I created.

First, thank you for your nice and friendly reply.

Let me clear my question again.

We have about 30 computers, with 19~20" monitor, in the office, most of them are built for 3D works. What would be the UPS size that I need to purchase for split these computers in three sections(well, I think I would probably buy three Ups for each section).

I probably need about 20 mins back up electricity for saving the digital files when it goes off.

Please let me know if my question is still not clear..
Thank you for helping, and I really appreciate it and your time. :)

Ryan

If you want to run 10 PCs on each UPS, with the monitor, and I'm assuming with the server, network, etc.., you need an enterprise class UPS, for higher END PCs with 20 mins of power, you need about a bookshelf size UPS for them.

Each higher end PC will draw 300 watts of power, so you need 3,000 on each UPS.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=745

Your best bet is to contact one of the companies, Tripplite, APC, etc.. and ask them.

To get such a long runtime on those computers, you are looking at about $2-3,000 cost per UPS.

ryan200601

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

okay Thank you for your reply.
I will have to concern about the budget and what we can get.

Thank you very much.