Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and AS5

daftpunk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a guide that shows how to install the afore mentioned cooler "with" the screw down kit. I was only able to find the push pin installation manual on the Xigmatek site. Should it be self explanatory? I just like to be certain.

Also, the Arctic Silver site says just to put one thin line of grease across the middle of the CPU (and nowhere else), but the Xigmatek manual says I'm suppose to coat the bottom of the heatsink with grease. Which am I to follow?

Is there anything else special I need to do because of the shape of the heatsink? I've never used one with the copper pipes before.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Ok lets see here....installing with screw down kit: take out mother board, flip over, peel backing from bracket and stick to backside of mother board at cpu socket, flip back over, place heatsink onto cpu, line up screws into holes on mother board, screw into bracket in cross pattern as outlined in push-pin directions (screw 1, screw 4, screw 2, screw 3)

Applying thermal paste: I've found it best to put two thin lines on the heatsink at the two middle "seams" where the copper pipe comes through the aluminum block, hard to explain, I guess its on the aluminum part on either side of the middle pipe (there are 3 pipes)

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
In this case you would put a thin layer on the bottom of the heatsink paying close attention to filling in the gaps between the aluminum block and the copper tube.

daftpunk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. Just so I can air on the side of caution, which would be worse; not putting enough grease on to fill the gaps between the copper and the aluminum, or putting too much on? Thanks again.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Just put a very thin layer across the CPU integrated heat spreader. Do not follow the AC instructions. Do not go crazy filling in the cracks between the base and the heat pipes. There are mounting instructions included with the backplate kit. Mount the brackets to the HS and install the base on the back of the mobo and screw it down in a cross pattern.