780i dual SATA drives problem

scenarioL113

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I have a 780i mobo and two seagate Barracuda Hard Drives 500 gig each.

I had originally had only one drive when I built the PC but the HD crashed and was RMA with a replacement sent under warranty.

I bought the 2nd drive while waiting for the warranty to happen. I setup the PC witht he new drive and all is fine.

I installed the replacement drive as a back-up for storage and all was fine. I noticed the mouse would get a little choppy from time to time but never gave it much thought.

Recently I noticed the backup HD was not being read by the MOBO. I opened the tower up and plugged and unplugged the wires and now it is recognized and all works.

I have the choppy mouse problem again and VISTA takes forever to shutdown.

If I disconnect the backup HD all these problems go away, NO choppy mouse and superfast shutdown.

I can obviously solve this by not using the 2nd drive but that is not really a solution.

I updated drivers and installed new SATA cables and switched out the power cables on my antec PS to be sure.

Is there anything else I can check. I moved my memory to different slots and different configurations and I reset the BIOS to default settings too.

HELP!......Please.

scenarioL113

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I decided to wipe the drive clean. I ran DBAN and now everything seems to be running well.

I have now formatted the drive and have no issues as of yet.

Maybe I had some kind of virus on that drive, although IMHO I fell it was (possibly still) more hardware related. I guess I will put some backup data on it and see if it acts up again.

I always seem to have these weird problems.