Rising the computer's disk data transfer rate

renbail

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I recently build my first PC. I tend to review a computer's performance via the Windows Experience Index. My base score is at 5.9, determined by the lowest subscore. That would be the Primary hard disk. The Disk data transfer rate has been rated a 5.9.

Everything else is at least a 7.1

My question is regarding the transfer rate. What are some of the ways make my PC's transfer rate higher?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

You can not gain any real information by using WEI, it was meant as a baseline number to be used when buying games.

For HD you will not get any higher rating than 5.9 unless you get a SSD.

To increase the transfer rate you would have to setup a raid with 2 or more HDs which would lead to a whole other discussion.

miaent

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have two drive Raid 0 for performance with AMD Phenom II X6, 9gb memory desktop. My WEI for disk drive is only 5.9. I would of thought it would be way faster. You mentioned a RAID config being a different ball game. Any idea why index is so low on this subscore? thanks.

Windows does not give over 5.9 on 7 or 8 for hard drives from what I have seen. I had 3 WDC blacks in raid and short stroked and even it did not make a difference.

Lucky for you, the WEI score is not that important.

If you get an SSD things change and SSDs ARE noticeably faster for almost everything, but it comes at a cost so only get what YOU need.

Bob Baran

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
My current Disk Data Transfer rate is 6.5 and I am NOT using as SSD drive.
I do a lot of very large file rendering so I decided to use three 15K SCSI Drives in a Raid 5 configuration.
It may not give the Data transfer rate of a solid state but 128 or 256 GB was not adequate to meet my needs.
I haven't seen a faster non solid state solution.

maksim22

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007