Is it possible? 4pin mobo connector --> 8pin mobo con.

shugs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hi

I decided to buy a different motherboard but it requires a 8pin connector instead of a 4pin, now my question if it is possible to use an adapter (if they even exist) to change the 4pin to an 8pin? (since my PSU only has a 4pin) I do not want to invest in another PSU.

Also, can the PSU/cabling still supply enough power to feed the connector if i would use an adapter?

thanks in advance.

- Shugs

shugs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
For some strange reason I cannot edit my posts...so here goes another one :)
anywayz,
given that i'm not too tech savvy, I do not believe that there is a possibility to combine 2-4pins to make one 8pin on this PSU.
If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

You do need an adapter. Your motherboard manual should tell you how to plug your PSU connector into the motherboard.

I just checked to link you posted. The following was copied from the site.

Connectors:

20+4 PIN (MB): 1x
Small 4PIN (HDD/FDD): 2x
Big 4PIN (HDD/FDD): 6x
S-ATA: 4x
6+2Pin PCI-Express: 1x
6Pin PCI-Express: 1x
4+4PIN 12V (MB): 1x <----
3Pin Fan Detector 1x

According to that, you should have a cable with 8 wires (4 yellow and 4 black) with two four pin connectors on it. They will clip together and fit in the 8 pin motherboard connector.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
you are talking about the cpu rail right? well i plugged the 4pin into the 8pin (goes in the center 4) and have no problems so far but i do have a 45nm c2duo which isnt power hungry. if you have a power hungry c2q, phenom, old athlon then id suggest a new psu

shugs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

@jsc: Thanks I don't know how I overlooked that! :S I read a PSU review on that specific type and it stated that it only had 1 - 4pin 12V for the mobo and that it was incompatible with a board requiring an extra 4pin (8 in total).

@blackwidow_: Yeah, i thought that if I would need an adapter that it would not be able to provide enough power (atleast at full load). I didn't expect to be able to use even a single 4pin to replace 8pin for the cpu. I am planning on getting the phenom x4 9950 and OCing it to 3.0ghz. So i will definately need the 8pin ;)

Thanks again guys for the help!